Butchered Squire Strat clean up.

What's Hot
I thought you guys might appreciate my new modded Squire I've just acquired, what a beauty.
A mate of mine gave me 4 guitars today, they came from the local tip and I think he'd had them in his shed for a few years before noticing I was doing a kit build on my Facebook page... anyway this was one of them.

I have a Fender Strat which I love and I gave my partners 10 year old a Squire Strat last year and it wasn't half bad so I thought I might have a go at cleaning this one up, its either that or rip it to pieces and use the parts for another build or just keep it like it is because it looks pretty cool *cough*.

What do you guys think?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17006
    Whatever you do, you have to keep the 21st fret marker exactly as it is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    ^What Wez said. Otherwise - maybe sand the headstock? The rest I'd be tempted to leave...
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• Haha yeah I've kept the face sticker, that might go back on.  I'll have to reshape and sand the head-stock, its been utterly buggered. 

Somebody got a little sloppy with the wiring.

H/H?  Its an old pickguard off my Strat, I have some silver humbuckers in a few other donor guitars I could use but I'm considering getting some Wilkinson chrome pups, they are pretty good for the price, twenty odd quid for the pair.
  • Well that's as much as I can do tonight as the Mrs has banned me from using power tools as the youngens in bed.
    Strat with a tele headstock?  Has anyone seen one before?  It's cleaning up quite nicely.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    I did quite like the 'folk art' approach of the original - but that looks so much better now you've cleaned it up :)
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3113
    Tele head on a Strat looks OK to me....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1089
    Didn't Van Halen have a tele neck on a Strat? And Tommy Bolin if memory serves me well...
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    Joe Perry had his "Telerat"

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a Wilkinson dark star GB in an old encore start rebuild. Great little pup and good value. The telephone head on start is cool too. A problem I had, maybe you won't, was the Wilkinson pups were too deep for the body cavity and I had to chisel a deeper cavity.maybe the squire will accommodate them better. Looking good so far.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I really hate the Tele Headstock, it's one of the main reasons I can't got on with a Tele.
  • I'm gonna get a 5 way Fender super switch as the Wilko's can be coil tapped, I'll wire them up like a Fender Blacktop.
    I like the tele headstocks, I've had a few tele's and prefer them to the oversized strat headstock, my Fender Strat has a smaller style headstock.  Looking forward to getting this finished but I'll have to wait till payday to buy the parts I need.. Too many projects, too little dosh.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1511
    Didn't Rory Gallagher have a strat with a tele neck?  
  • Well I finally got the pups in, these Wilkinsons are quite bright, I wasn't expecting them to sound like a pair of £160 pups but they do suit the guitar in style and sound and I didn't want to spend much on it.
    The Squender.  I know the waterslide could have been better but balls.. I'll probably be giving it to the youngen anyway.

Before and After.
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73195
    impmann said:

Joe Perry had his "Telerat"
    That's a direct tribute to Hendrix, who also had a Strat with a Tele neck - hence why Perry's one is left-handed.

http://slowhandbcn.com/hendrix-newport.jpg

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    edited July 2016
    I didn't know that @ICBM

Is that *the* fabled white Strat from Woodstock with a Tele neck nailed to it temporarily, I wonder??????
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73195
    Not sure. Supposedly it was because the Strat neck got broken and the only maple-board neck he could find to replace it was a Tele one. As far as I know and from the pics I found it was only used at that festival, so he may have put a Strat neck back on it later. I think the upside-down Tele head looks brilliant too!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein