2014 Gibson SG Special - at this price?

What's Hot
I tried one of these in a High Street shop and absolutely loved it, and with the coil taps the single coil "mode" sounded great and twangy. Made in the USA and everything. It was for sale in the shop for £699. Then I look online, and see this: http://www.dv247.com/guitars/gibson-sg-special-2014-6-string-electric-guitar-heritage-cherry-vintage-gloss--206102 Is this the same model with exactly the same specs? Seems like a huge price drop. This is the one I played instore: https://imgur.com/a/jXvcj So what's the catch with DV247? Seems too good to be true price-wise.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Nice price.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7834
    getting rid of old stock price
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Fuck me, if I had the cash I'd grab that. Even with the dodgy 12th fret anniversary inlay.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2302
    Annoying that they have to make it look naff with the gaudy cream pickup rings and selector surround. (And inlay.)

Still, they can be changed. That's a lot of guitar for the money.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    That SG has 24 frets and is therefore invalid ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3700
    Excellent price.

I think I saw  somebody on here had changed the horrible pick up surrounds and added a scratch plate......looked miles better.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7299
    sweepy;1122457" said:
    That SG has 24 frets and is therefore invalid ;)
    I'm going to tell Tony Iommi you said that.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3860
    Lordy I'm very, very tempted!
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1635
    edited June 2016
    hobbio said:
    Fuck me, if I had the cash I'd grab that. Even with the dodgy 12th fret anniversary inlay.
    It's not a good look but might look quirky in a few years. 
  • Just bumping this thread because I've checked and DV247 still have these in stock and the price for a Heritage Cherry Red one is ridiculously good (sub £500!).

Has anyone owned one of these?

• Just bumping this thread because I've checked and DV247 still have these in stock and the price for a Heritage Cherry Red one is ridiculously good (sub £500!).

I ended up with a 2016 one and it was a dog.  Required extensive fretwork and still felt like a cheap plank, although I did like the mini-humbuckers.

My band, Red For Dissent

I ended up with a 2016 one and it was a dog.  Required extensive fretwork and still felt like a cheap plank, although I did like the mini-humbuckers.
    I did quite like the 2014 model.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4796
    edited October 2016
    Seems a stonkingly good price!  If I didn't already have an SG Standard I'd be in there! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2276
    edited October 2016
    Voxman said:
    Seems a stonkingly good price!  If I didn't already have an SG Standard I'd be in there! 

I was looking at getting another offset Fender and was looking at the JM Jag but having tried one out again, I'm not convinced, but on the budget I'm on I could get the 2014 SG Special AND another offset. NGD x 2!

(this got doubly gassy very quickly....)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Quick question, sorry if I am hijacking the thread, I was looking to buy an SG and noticed that I can buy an SG Faded 2016 T Worn cherry for £415 on the amazon warehouse says its like new.

I Have pulled the trigger and assume its a pretty good deal? It seems to me to be a good price, seems second hand they go for around this price.

link to the one I bought https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015E8Y80U/
  • @minefields That's where I got mine. It was dinged and dirty. Although Amazon kindly offered a partial refund, which made it an acceptable deal. 

My band, Red For Dissent
  • I can always return it if it turns out a bit battered. I have had some stuff from the amazon warehouse before and it tends to be pretty good condition. I don't mind a small ding or something as buying a second hand one will usually come with some dents.

imalrightjack said:
    @minefields That's where I got mine. It was dinged and dirty. Although Amazon kindly offered a partial refund, which made it an acceptable deal. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom