David Cameron has resigned

What's Hot

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    eSully said:
    DiscoStu;1123475" said:
    Richardj said:

DiscoStu said:

Cameron called the referendum but lost it. He couldn't have possibly governed a country who voted against him, he had to go.He also said he would trigger article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty if we voted out. By quitting, will that still happen? 

If the people want out he has to invoke Article 50. There is 'no, let's wait a bit' it is 'in' or 'out' and the people want 'out'.

Good luck to what's left of the UK, I'm pleased I can watch the train wreck from afar.

It's not that straightforward. By constitution, only the PM can trigger Article 50. Parliament can pass a motion instructing him not to trigger it.

Plus the referendum vote was just an open question to the populace. He said he would stand by the decision but he doesn't have to if he decides it is not in the country's interest.
    I don't know if you missed his press conference this morning but he won't invoke article 50. He'll let the new pm do it when that person comes to power so article 50 won't be invoked until October at the earliest and maybe later

What is the point of waiting?  Surely the 'out' people will want out asap.  Any waiting or uncertainties if it is the right thing to do are a bit late now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Richardj said:
    eSully said:
    DiscoStu;1123475" said:
    Richardj said:

DiscoStu said:

Cameron called the referendum but lost it. He couldn't have possibly governed a country who voted against him, he had to go.He also said he would trigger article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty if we voted out. By quitting, will that still happen? 

If the people want out he has to invoke Article 50. There is 'no, let's wait a bit' it is 'in' or 'out' and the people want 'out'.

Good luck to what's left of the UK, I'm pleased I can watch the train wreck from afar.

It's not that straightforward. By constitution, only the PM can trigger Article 50. Parliament can pass a motion instructing him not to trigger it.

Plus the referendum vote was just an open question to the populace. He said he would stand by the decision but he doesn't have to if he decides it is not in the country's interest.
    I don't know if you missed his press conference this morning but he won't invoke article 50. He'll let the new pm do it when that person comes to power so article 50 won't be invoked until October at the earliest and maybe later

What is the point of waiting?  Surely the 'out' people will want out asap.  Any waiting or uncertainties if it is the right thing to do are a bit late now.
    Actually this could be Cameron's way of winning even though he lost.

Referendum was an open question, and Cameron promised to honour the will of the people. No one else made that promise... a new PM is under no obligation to honour that decision.
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Buying time basically. The new PM may not invoke article 50 straight away either. There's a massive amount of preparation work necessary and they need as much time to prepare and negotiate as possible. Once article 50 is invoked my understanding is the clock starts ticking and it all has to be sorted in around 2 years
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5595
    As I thought then, a bullet dodge. If he's not in power then he doesn't have to stand by a pledge.
    I read earlier that the EU can ask for a second referendum too if it's not happy with the outcome.
    Kin ell.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517

Richardj said:

The Leave camp was a very disparate group with a range of different ideas on how we should proceed afterwards.  2 or 3 months to prepare a comprehensive negotiating position would actually be beneficial.  It would also allow the initial shock to wear off in the EU and they might be a bit more willing to negotiate pragmatically.

It might be interesting to see what happens in the next 2 or 3 months.  There is another round of Greek bailout talks due - that's the main reason Cameron bounced us into an early referendum.  Exit movements in other EU countries would have time to stir things up.  The situation might be far more favourable to trigger it in October.  On the other hand, we are unlikely to lose much by waiting until October.

We can also get a head start on negotiating trade agreements with other countries before triggering it so that we can keep the benefits of the single market for another 3 months while doing those negotiations.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3447
    Osborne has no chance after his 'punishment budget' position. He'll have to be replaced too. I suspect it'll be Boris / May / Davies, Gove is still young enough to hang back this time around. It's definitely going to be a serious mess to clean up, that's for sure, and with probably another Scottish referendum mixed in with it.

It would have been nice if we didn't end up here. What a tale of gross incompetence and hubris all round.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    What happens with International Trade agreements? By signing previous ones Britain is part of them (EU or not). So Legally any corporations that see a chance of loss of profits can sue the UK government ... think governments don't get sued? Egypt enacted a minimum wage law, got sued by investors. Germany decided to not build more nuclear power stations and got sued (for billions).

After all, there are trade agreements with countries not in the EU, and may be some from before we were a member... hmm will have to do some reading on those
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6593
    Myranda said:
    Richardj said:
    eSully said:
    DiscoStu;1123475" said:
    Richardj said:

DiscoStu said:

Actually this could be Cameron's way of winning even though he lost.

Referendum was an open question, and Cameron promised to honour the will of the people. No one else made that promise... a new PM is under no obligation to honour that decision.
    Can you imagine it, though?! There would be rioting on the streets, surely?

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17877
    tFB Trader
    DiscoStu said:
    As I thought then, a bullet dodge. If he's not in power then he doesn't have to stand by a pledge.
    I read earlier that the EU can ask for a second referendum too if it's not happy with the outcome.
    Kin ell.
    The EU can't do anything.

Parliament only has to repeal the Europe act and we could leave tomorrow.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited June 2016
    Richardj said:
    DiscoStu said:
    Cameron called the referendum but lost it. He couldn't have possibly governed a country who voted against him, he had to go.
    He also said he would trigger article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty if we voted out. By quitting, will that still happen? 

eSully said:
    Buying time basically. The new PM may not invoke article 50 straight away either. There's a massive amount of preparation work necessary and they need as much time to prepare and negotiate as possible. Once article 50 is invoked my understanding is the clock starts ticking and it all has to be sorted in around 2 years
    Also there will no doubt be a lot of macho rhetoric from various European capital cities in the coming weeks, indeed it has already started.  It seems eminently sensible to me to let that all die down and allow time for some more pragmatic thinking to emerge.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited June 2016
    Duplicate for some reason
    :-S
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16373
    As I understand it the leading party in the Netherlands is anti EU so reasonably likely to leave. Then others like France.
    There's up to two years to negotiate the withdrawal and that has to be approved by Parliament. It is theoretically possible we still won't leave, if unlikely.
    Cameron going isn't a surprise and I think it's sensible not to rush into it.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    DrJazzTap said:
    Not sure what to say......wow
    I say good riddance ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7829
    DiscoStu said:
    Kin ell.

Which will not happen. 

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

Anyone else think it was a bit suspicious the Sambostar disappeared just before it all kicked off? He could be being groomed for the top job right now.

Obviously he'd have to get his hair cut and smarten himself up a bit. Oh, and maybe get a new Transit minibus instead of a tipper.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2177
    EricTheWeary;1123637" said:
    As I understand it the leading party in the Netherlands is anti EU so reasonably likely to leave. Then others like France.
    There's up to two years to negotiate the withdrawal and that has to be approved by Parliament. It is theoretically possible we still won't leave, if unlikely.
    Cameron going isn't a surprise and I think it's sensible not to rush into it.
    Surely they couldn't ignore the will of the British people? I would have thought we'd have riots on a national scale. :(
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    The whole thing smacks of an investment ruse instigated by George Soros.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17877
    tFB Trader
    DiscoStu said:
    Kin ell.

Which will not happen. 

Agreed but... 

Europe trying to force us to have a second referendum would cause it to happen so it's a kind of mutually assured destruction ensuring that neither thing will occur.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2343
    Showing integrity until the bitter end.
    he;'s shown no integrity in his political career. 

despicable man with horrific policies, liar, u turning, pig shagger. Good riddance to that total bell end.

but now we've got boris, farage, IDS, and Gove.. Jeezo...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom