Wiring diagrams for Freeway switch

I was ready to install the electrics (P90s, 1 volume control, 1 tone control) in a new build when I realised that the wiring diagram I planned to use refers to the Freeway Ultra switch, while I have the other model of Freeway switch (3X3-3). Bother!

My planned setup for each switch position is:

1: neck only
2: bridge + neck
3: bridge only
4: both, in series, in phase
5: both, in series, out of phase
6: both, parallel, out of phase

Does anyone have an appropriate diagram? Or is there a simple explanation about how to translate the connection for the Ultra swicth to the switch I have?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29208
    I'm reasonably confident that the 3x3-03 can't do that - it's only a 2-pole switch. Generally series/parallel requires two poles on its own, as does phase switching, so your scheme would usually need 6 switching poles. The Ultra has some weird psuedo-pole stuff going on with the TA and TB contacts which sometimes come into play and sometimes don't.

I used one of the original Freeways in a guitar and it was a bit of a mare to work out switching schemes for - in the end I stuck with one of their drawings.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1705
    Thanks for the comment, @Sporky. Checking through old emails I now see that I have the correct wiring diagram, but was sent the wrong switch (I had ordered the Ultra). :-(
    Then that is a shame, but surely fairly easily rectified?

I understand Superswitches and multi-pole rotary ones, but the Freeways seem almost random in how they connect contacts.
  • AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1705
    Sporky said:
    Then that is a shame, but surely fairly easily rectified?

I understand Superswitches and multi-pole rotary ones, but the Freeways seem almost random in how they connect contacts.
    Yes, I'll just wire it with a standard 3 way switch for now and get the Ultra switch sent.
  • step_hentstep_hent Frets: 34
    I've just bought a 3x3 freeway switch to do an out of phase mod - @sporky, do you reckon that's not possible?
    I'd check the website and the schematics they have there - I really don't fully understand the Freeways. I think the 3x3-03 does support out-of-phase in one setup but beyond that? No idea. Sorry.
  • step_hentstep_hent Frets: 34
    @sporky ah ok, thanks for responding. I couldn't make head nor tail of the diagrams it came with but I'll give it a go and see if I can make it work.

@normula1 yep, I got mine from Axesrus. I might ask Craig actually - he's usually brilliant at responding to stuff like that, knows loads and always mega helpful.
    step_hent said:
    @sporky ah ok, thanks for responding. I couldn't make head nor tail of the diagrams it came with but I'll give it a go and see if I can make it work.
    Me neither. I can't even work out, given the wiring diagram and the explanation of the switch, how the arrangements work!