useful Dremel bits?

I want to cut some small channels in wood for some wiring (approx 3mm across, 3mm deep). I also want to cut out some fiddly inlay shapes, both the recess in the fretboard and also the shapes themselves (out of Paua or MoP).

Any suggestion for decent bits for a Dremel for these jobs?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29208
    Reground CNC drills and endmills will probably work.

http://www.megauk.com/carbide_drill_bits.php

You can get cheaper on eBay from China; my experience is that those ones don't stay sharp as long, but if you're doing it by hand you'll likely break the bits long before they go blunt, especially the smaller sizes.

There are purpose-made 1/8th bits for inlay work but they're brutally expensive. Specific cutting geometries for the different shells and semi-precious stones and so on. Stewmac have some sensibly priced ones for doing the wood cutting.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    For inlay work I use the ones that small wonder music sell here http://www.smallwonder-music.co.uk/shop/Tools-and-Finishing/Spiral-Router-Bits/p-123-454/ I've found them to be good and they don't seem as brittle as, eg dental bits.
    Those look a lot like the ones I have, but they're a bit more expensive than from Mega UK.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Sporky said:
    Those look a lot like the ones I have, but they're a bit more expensive than from Mega UK.

I'll get some from Mega and try them out, @Sporky. Thanks for the lead - not come across Mega before
    That's where I got the PCB making CNC machine. It's only a pound or so difference but possibly worth a punt. The drills under about 1mm are too fragile for freehand use but might be OK in a router base.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33996
    Sporky said:

You can get cheaper on eBay from China; my experience is that those ones don't stay sharp as long, but if you're doing it by hand you'll likely break the bits long before they go blunt, especially the smaller sizes.

There are purpose-made 1/8th bits for inlay work but they're brutally expensive. Specific cutting geometries for the different shells and semi-precious stones and so on. Stewmac have some sensibly priced ones for doing the wood cutting.
    I use these too.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Sporky said:

Forgive my ignorance, but is it everything on that page or just one section?
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

Since you're looking at stuff that involves using the side of the cutter, look at are the routers near the bottom (the chip breaker ones should work better on shell). The others are drill bits and only cut downwards. (I don't know where the reground thing comes in - that only seems to apply to some of the drill bits.)

What sort of shape are you thinking of making? Wouldn't a jewellers saw work? If you're going to use a Dremel type tool, you might want to think about dust extraction - not sure I'd want to be breathing in finely powered shell, which is why my micro spindle moulder thingy has extraction on it...

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/67065/rotary-tool-home-brew-add-ons

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Nomad said:

Since you're looking at stuff that involves using the side of the cutter, look at are the routers near the bottom (the chip breaker ones should work better on shell). The others are drill bits and only cut downwards. (I don't know where the reground thing comes in - that only seems to apply to some of the drill bits.)

What sort of shape are you thinking of making? Wouldn't a jewellers saw work? If you're going to use a Dremel type tool, you might want to think about dust extraction - not sure I'd want to be breathing in finely powered shell, which is why my micro spindle moulder thingy has extraction on it...

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/67065/rotary-tool-home-brew-add-ons

Good thread! I've bookmarked it for a closer look.

Nomad said:

The reground drills are still useful for "spotting" corners - I mentioned those because while they're no use in CNC (the length isn't predictable) they're still fine for Dremel use, and less expensive. But yes, only applies to the drills - I should perhaps have said reground-drills and router bits.