Andy Timmons

Well now...I knew he was quite good, but jeez...I've just got Resolution, and quite simply it's the album that I wanted Satch to make after his self-titled effort. They're very much the same kind of player, and it's got all the best bits of Satch's first four albums with the natural-feeling vibe from Joe Satriani.

Awesome.
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've only heard bits of Resolution. My favourite AT album is Ear Xtacy 2. A Night To Remember is amazing. I would put him more in the Lukather camp of playing rather than Satch. Joe can get a bit samey to my ears. A lot of repeated licks throughout his albums. Andy has a much better tone as well.

If you like Resolution, have a gander at this..

• dindudedindude Frets: 8561
    edited December 2013
    It's funny you should mention this, I was thinking of starting a thread on this the other day but forgot!

I'm not a huge instrumental guitar music fan but have always quietly enjoyed a bit of Satch, Vai, Johnson etc, but always in small dosses.

Was listening to this in the car the other day and I think it is the only instrumental guitar album I can listen to all the way through, it's blindingly good.

Like you say, has the melodies and musicality of Satch but with better touch and tone IMO, and more consistency in the composition stakes.

• vizviz Frets: 10760
    He's got better and better imo
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8561
    It was the title track that first grabbed me, a good place to start for the uninitiated, I heard it on the Mesa Boogie home page and explored from there!

• What a great player. It might be controversial to some but I loved the Telecaster tone more than anything else. Top quality playing all round as well and the Bass tone kicks ass big time.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17841
    tFB Trader
    Seems like an interesting dude he's going to be my work playlist tomorrow
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17841
    tFB Trader
    Been watching that live clip. 

Phenomenal player. 

Satch and GG are really the only two "technique" players I go for, but I could see myself getting into Timmons. He captures that same sense of joy and excitement that Satch nails. I'm not as fond of his tone though which is odd as he plays a very similar guitar to me (HSS strats with vintage bridge).

GG remains to me how I wish I could make my guitar sound.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3341
    edited December 2013
    He's an incredible player and IMHO, I think he's a little more accessible and melodic than the other instrumental guys. I liked him too when he was doing the 80's rock thing with Danger Danger (they're playing the last ever Firefest at Rock City, Nottingham in Oct 2014 and AT will be joining them for that gig and relieving his replacement, the very capable Rob Marcello).

As well as his solo stuff, I believe he was both Leanne Rimes and Olivia Newton-Johns' tour guitarist.

I also like his Boogie and Xotic demos and "Electric Gypsy" is a great track. I'll check out this new album too - Cheers!

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    I love his 'no overdubs' style, where all guitar is done in one take. Such a fabulous, honest way to play and record. Resolution is fantastic, I'm also a massive fan of his sgt Peppers instrumental album - freakin awesome!!!!
  • Thanks to all for posting this stuff here.
    I have admired Andy Timmons playing from the occasional find on YouTube.

Loved the "Electric Gypsy" vid too, mistakes and all.
    Great performance for just a guitar shop demo, tough call to perform at that level without the atmosphere.

Listening now to the live...  wow, thanks for that spacecadet, a conversion moment me-thinks.
    Amazing musicianship, and as Kebabkid said, what a great sense of melody...

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6224
    dindude said:
    It was the title track that first grabbed me, a good place to start for the uninitiated, I heard it on the Mesa Boogie home page and explored from there!

And that is just stunning.. one of my all time favourite guitar tracks. No showing off or fret-board wanking, just great melody and tone. Perfect.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"