Intonation Problem?

Chaps, a little exercise of your grey matter please:

I've just had a new nut fitted to my Strat, so I've given it a quick set up, to check the alignments.  The four top strings didn't need adjusting (just a whisker of height as you might expect).  The bottom E moved a tad, but it's the A that's making me wonder, it moved a very long way forward to intionate and is now ahead of all the other strings.  It plays in tune everywhere and all seems normal, it's just not a saddle alignment.  The strings are new and I've measured with my TC Polytune, my Pod Pro's tuner and a 'phone app.  Here's the pic, any thoughts?

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii567/Elephanttoo/Bridge_zpsmlrmxutn.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7137
    tFB Trader
    Faulty string maybe? I've had sets from a certain manufacturer where the A string wasn't uniformly wound and caused just that effect.

If the string is okay, i find that Strat intonation problems are caused by pickups being too high and pulling the string out of tune.
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1010
    Will have a good look at the string, thanks.

Doubt the Pup as it hasn't changed, but...
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16990
    SteveRobinson;1127601" said:
    Faulty string maybe? I've had sets from a certain manufacturer where the A string wasn't uniformly wound and caused just that effect.

If the string is okay, i find that Strat intonation problems are caused by pickups being too high and pulling the string out of tune.
    +1

I have had it happen specifically on the A string a few times

• vizviz Frets: 10778
    Is it a different age string compared to the others? The bridge position for perfect intonation is dependent on the age of the string. Also is it the right gauge, ie part of the set?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
    WezV said:
    SteveRobinson;1127601" said:

+1

I have had it happen specifically on the A string a few times

And me: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/75347/new-world-record-time-for-restringing-a-guitar
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11772
    tFB Trader
    I'd wager a rogue string is to blame

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1010
    Thanks for the thoughts chaps.

Have now run through the whole set up again, tried cranking the pickups down a long way too - no difference.

The string feels like the right gauge and I can see or feel no defect in it (even used a magnifying glass).

This is a new set I'd passed to the luthier for the job, which he appears to have used.

I like my trems to float, so if the guage were really different the bridge would show signs but has only shown in this way.

I suspect - since it plays fine - the real answer is to live as it is and check it all again at next string change, about a week or so in this weather!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16990
    its always been new strings when its happened to me.   It can just be a flaw in the winding which makes it impossible to get right