London should leave the UK

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Now the Etonian's civil war has been sorted,London should leave the UK and rejoin Europe.
    Keep all the money generated in London and let the rest of England fend for itself.
    sounds fair.

The rest of England will turn off the power (check where your power comes from) .... I was born in London but I'm fed up with the current lot. A plague and a big fire might sort them out .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16397
    On the basis that Scotland had a referendum for independence with a considerably smaller population I don't see why not. If it didn't get good trade agreements with other parts of the UK it might struggle a bit though.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

Can London also have its own pope to go with its new principality status ?

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2491
    London has the money, we have the water. Let the negotiations begin.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The EU would never recognise London as a City State. The EU wants the power of the City of London reduced not enhanced. Pie in the sky.

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Well I live outside the M25 but attend university inside the M25 (by the Thames actually... lovely views).

Will I have to gain some form of visa? I was born in Germany so might be able to claim dual nationality will that help with the Euro-London?
    Actually, I was thinking about regions wanting to leave earlier.

If (for example) Scotland just declared that they were no longer part of the UK - what exactly would the rest of the UK do? You can't exactly send in the troops we'd look like monsters... arrest the Scottish parliament? There'd be riots... 

Obviously they don't have the authority under British law... but in reality, what would actually stop them?

I chose Scotland as they already have a separate governance and legal branch... but for any particular region, if supported by the people... what realistically can be done to prevent such a departure?

Myranda said:

If (for example) Scotland just declared that they were no longer part of the UK - what exactly would the rest of the UK do? You can't exactly send in the troops we'd look like monsters... arrest the Scottish parliament? There'd be riots... 

Obviously they don't have the authority under British law... but in reality, what would actually stop them?

I chose Scotland as they already have a separate governance and legal branch... but for any particular region, if supported by the people... what realistically can be done to prevent such a departure?
    Scotland could declare UDI but they would find themselves in a financial meltdown. No central bank, a currency over which they have no control and they'd be outside the EU, so no free trade area. The RUK could tear up the Barnett Formula and refuse to give the Scots a red cent. Borders would have to be imposed between England and Scotland. It would be a dumb move.

Fretwired said:

Myranda said:

Scotland could declare UDI but they would find themselves in a financial meltdown. No central bank, a currency over which they have no control and they'd be outside the EU, so no free trade area. The RUK could tear up the Barnett Formula and refuse to give the Scots a red cent. Borders would have to be imposed between England and Scotland. It would be a dumb move.
    Not saying it would be a good idea (though if the UK actually goes through with leaving the EU then I can see Scotland forming its own central bank and printing Scotchish Wooden Dollars)... my point was more a question of whether they CAN unilaterally do such things.
    Myranda said:
    Fretwired said:

Myranda said:

Not saying it would be a good idea (though if the UK actually goes through with leaving the EU then I can see Scotland forming its own central bank and printing Scotchish Wooden Dollars)... my point was more a question of whether they CAN unilaterally do such things.
    They can do what they like. They can't just create a central bank and launch a currency though .. markets will need confidence in it and any new currency. It might be different if oil were $130 a barrel.