Trem block springs protruding out of body on partscaster

What's Hot
Loving my partscaster Strat (photos on main Guitars section last week...) but the Fender trem block at 43 mm is so close to edge of body that the springs stick out 1 mm at the back (where they hook on to block) stopping me putting on a back plate. The body is 1.75" standard thickness too. Seems odd. Anything I can do bar buying smaller block!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16990
    Grind down the existing block.

I have done it a few of times, usually from the face that sits against the trem
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    That's a possibility. Ta. Next time I change strings, I'll take a closer look at workings...
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1010
    If it's a modern two post trem, this can be the case if you've set the trem posts too low.

If this is the case, the cure is to unscrew the posts a bit, so the knife edge is higher.  The bridge plate itself should be above the body, only contacting on an up pull of the arm, at th eend of travel.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    It's a vintage type 6 screw one... Presumably this section should be screwed flat against body?
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1010
    Not quite.

The screw heads should be just above the top of the plate when fully back.  If not, the "knife edge" simply rubs up and down in trem action, as the head acts as the (almost) pivot instead.

Basically, high enough so that it pivots on the screw shank, without contacting the head itself.
  • FezFez Frets: 547
    I put I steel block from Wudtone in one of my strats and I have the same issue. However the body is of unknown provenance and seems slightly thinner than a US strat body. It does seem to improve the tone of the guitar though. 
    Don't touch that dial.