What Guitar and Equipment would we like to see reviewed?

What's Hot
RolandRoland Frets: 8852
The Review section isn't as active as expected. Rather than chivvy people to review their favourites I thought I'd ask customers (that's you and me) what we'd like to see.

To start the ball rolling: I'd like to read a review of a fixed bridge Strat such as Robert Cray uses.
Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    I think the big problem is the criteria for the reviews, if we do don't have to follow the formula then more people would as to be fair it is a large undertaking.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28042
    I think the big problem is the criteria for the reviews, if we do don't have to follow the formula then more people would as to be fair it is a large undertaking.
    That could be a fair comment.

We were aiming to get a consistent level of content & quality in the reviews.  So, rather than just saying "I've got this and it's great", to put some sort of structure to the review to lead the reviewer through their thoughts on why it's great.  That then makes reading the review more useful to the reader.

The idea of the 3mth ownership period was to get past the initial honeymoon period, but perhaps that's putting people off and we should reduce it to 1mth - so, past the initial honeymoon but still with enough interest to write about it?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17917
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:

The idea of the 3mth ownership period was to get past the initial honeymoon period, but perhaps that's putting people off and we should reduce it to 1mth - so, past the initial honeymoon but still with enough interest to write about it?
    Probably makes sense. 
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited June 2016
    I'm thinking about buying one of these:

Would love to see a review and post honeymoon period update to help me decide though :)

• RolandRoland Frets: 8852
    In my experience .88mm Tortex doesn't last long enough to make it through the honeymoon period
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28042
    TTony said:

Probably makes sense. 
    Are you happy with that too Roland?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33989
    Dumble.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434

• DominicDominic Frets: 16296
    A blind sound test, 3 or 4 riffs/licks in different styles played by a competant guitarist identically on different instruments as follows ;
    Custom shop Strat v Squier Strat
    Gibson les Paul True Historic R8 /9 v Epiphone Les Paul
      Be very interesting to see how many can really tell the sound difference
    I can't believe its not butter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8852
    TTony said:
    TTony said:

Probably makes sense. 
    Are you happy with that too Roland?
    Yes
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5071
    edited June 2016
    I have a long weekend coming up, so in between the Tour de France stuff, I'll try and do reviews of several bits of kit I've had for a while.

High end? JS1000, posh pedals, etc.

Low end? Vintage (brand) Tele, cheap pedals, etc.

No promises, depends on how Cav does on day one v's how much Bubbly goes down on day one of Le Tour ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    I think the only issue ( for me) is the reviews I watch ( Burgs, TPS, Gearmandude) are very much because I know they have a wealth of experience, and are getting stuff free or even charging for the service, so don't have the vested interest of ownership to hamper the objectivity.
    I'm happy to offer my services as the official reviewer, if you just want to ship your kit to me, I'll review it, and send it back.....,,,

Cheers.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • AllyAlly Frets: 64
    Looking forward, the review section is more likely to be used as a resource as opposed to ongoing conversations like the other forum sections. Don't know if it's possible, but subdivisions might make it easier to access.

I.E. subdivisions like: Fender, Gibson, PRS, etc. Main and common brands separated within the sections, and from there, the more uncommon things listed as it is now.

Just thought that if it's easier to use, then it's more likely to be used.

I like the idea of the review section though and will certainly continue to use it.

Thank you to the folk making the effort to come up with the idea and those contributing to it.