Apparently I look like I should work in Co-op.

What's Hot
octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33984
edited June 2016 in Off Topic
Just had a weird trip to the shops.
I need to tell you what I was wearing, because it seems that wearing, biker boots, black jeans and a Belstaff jacket (was on the bike) is too close to the Co-op employees uniform of black trousers and a black zip-up sweater for people to be able to tell the difference.

I was getting my bits and pieces, somewhat distracted by the task at hand and a woman walked up to me and said "Where are your eggs?", fairly rudely I might add.
I thought she was talking to the person behind me, who was not working there but look at egg-lady and she was looking right at me, clearly thinking I was an employee.
Because there was a delay in me responding while I was working it out she rather aggressively repeated her request with one word.

"EGGS!" she repeated, louder this time, as though she was talking to a simpleton.
At that point a small woman with a name badge walked over to see what was happening.

By this time I was able to respond with "Oh, do you think I work here?" to egg-woman.
Rather than apologise she just wordlessly stormed off to wander the aisles, no doubt on her egg quest.

The Co-op employee apologised for egg-woman, which I said was unnecessary but enquired if that was how people speak to her on a daily basis.
She didn't respond but she did not need to.
(I must remember to be extra nice to people who work in shops- what a thankless job.)

So I wandered a bit more and another person, this time a bloke, said 'Where is the hummus?' in my direction.

By this time I was wise to it and I responded with "I'm sorry sir, but Co-op has decided that you are all too fat and we've stopped selling hummus until you all lose some weight' and turned on my heel.
He was spluttering at me until I said loudly "I DON"T WORK HERE".

The employee who apologised earlier was working at the till when I was there, and Egg lady was a couple of people behind me.
We chatted while she rung things up for me and throwing egg-woman a quick look I bid the employee farewell with 'Have an Eggcellent Day'.

18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10775
    edited June 2016
    octatonic said:
    I need to tell you what I was wearing, because it seems that wearing, biker boots, black jeans and a Belstaff jacket (was on the bike) is too close to the Co-op employees uniform of black trousers and a black zip up sweater for people to be able to tell the difference.

I was getting my bits and pieces, somewhat distracted by the task at hand and a woman walked up to me and said "Where are your eggs?" ,

I think she'd noticed your tight trousers and was just wondering why she couldn't see 'em.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    I need to tell you what I was wearing, because it seems that wearing, biker boots, black jeans and a Belstaff jacket (was on the bike) is too close to the Co-op employees uniform of black trousers and a black zip-up sweater for people to be able to tell the difference.

I was getting my bits and pieces, somewhat distracted by the task at hand and a woman walked up to me and said "Where are your eggs?", fairly rudely I might add.
    I thought she was talking to the person behind me, who was not working there but look at egg-lady and she was looking right at me, clearly thinking I was an employee.
    Because there was a delay in me responding while I was working it out she rather aggressively repeated her request with one word.

"EGGS!" she repeated, louder this time, as though she was talking to a simpleton.
    At that point a small woman with a name badge walked over to see what was happening.

By this time I was able to respond with "Oh, do you think I work here?" to egg-woman.
    Rather than apologise she just wordlessly stormed off to wander the aisles, no doubt on her egg quest.

The Co-op employee apologised for egg-woman, which I said was unnecessary but enquired if that was how people speak to her on a daily basis.
    (I must remember to be extra nice to people who work in shops- what a thankless job.)

So I wandered a bit more and another person, this time a bloke, said 'Where is the hummus?' in my direction.

By this time I was wise to it and I responded with "I'm sorry sir, but Co-op has decided that you are all too fat and we've stopped selling hummus until you all lose some weight' and turned on my heel.

The employee who apologised earlier was working at the till when I was there, and Egg lady was a couple of people behind me.
    We chatted while she rung things up for me and throwing egg-woman a quick look I bid the employee farewell with 'Have an Eggcellent Day'.

So, @Octatonic, where were the eggs?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33984
    edited June 2016
    Fucked if I know- I buy ours from the local farmer.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Classic. 

Reminds me of Sunday, my wife and I were doing some voluntary work helping to refurb a garden at an English Heritage place near where we live.

Some retired folk walked past, tutted, and sat down on a bench nearby. 'Everything is volunteers now, no wonder it's in such a state. Boris will get them proper jobs now we're out of Europe'

I nearly pissed myself laughing. Afterwards, I wish I'd told the chap that I spend 60 hours a week running a software company, and this is my relaxation time.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14008
    I would have told her that we no longer sell eggs as we are leaving the EU, in fact all supermarkets will be closing down soon as we return to little England grocers, butchers and corner shops, all fridges will be outlawed and everyone will have to keep food in a pantry

• and everyone will have to keep food in a pantry
    which is where you keep eggs

@octatonic what is wrong with hummus?
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    This happens to me on an almost daily basis, I work in Sainsburys ( not for) and am usually sitting 8ft up on top of one the freezer or chiller units, ladders, safety barriers, light fitting in pieces around me, obviously rewiring stuff or drilling.
    And I'll get that " excuse me.......... Where's the orange juice???"
    Unbelievable.

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This happens to me on an almost daily basis, I work in Sainsburys ( not for) and am usually sitting 8ft up on top of one the freezer or chiller units, ladders, safety barriers, light fitting in pieces around me, obviously rewiring stuff or drilling.
    Unbelievable.

@Professorben, surely you're just being churlish by not assisting, considering your elevated vantage point.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    Handsome_Chris;1131725" said:
    professorben said:

This happens to me on an almost daily basis, I work in Sainsburys ( not for) and am usually sitting 8ft up on top of one the freezer or chiller units, ladders, safety barriers, light fitting in pieces around me, obviously rewiring stuff or drilling.

Unbelievable.

@Professorben, surely you're just being churlish by not assisting, considering your elevated vantage point.
    No I now either punish or reward the hapless shopper with accurate or misleading directions based upon my personal assessment of whether they voted Leave or Remain.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24866
    How eggsasperating....
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3507
    I'd have replied 'What's an egg?  Never seen one in my life before...'
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17899
    tFB Trader
    Unbelievable.

It doesn't just happen in supermarkets. 

When I was at the BBC I'd just gone live with a project to install a content production and asset management system so I was doing a floor walk around the departments that were using it to see if everything was going OK. One woman said to me "Yes that's all fine, but my lamp doesn't work" when I suggested that might be something she should take up with facilities management she said "You're all the same, YOU PEOPLE!".
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16397
    MrsTheWeary used to get asked a lot of questions about where stuff was when she went to Macro. It took a few trips to realise her cheap blue fleece she wore for shopping looked like the ones Macro employees wear.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440

I worked for the Co-Op years ago. It was before scanners, so we'd often get called for a price check.

The answer was ALWAYS 59p, whatever the item was. Pack of chewing gum? 59p. Bag od spuds? 59p. Leg of lamb? 59p. I swear that some people cottoned on and started removing the price from certain things to get a bargain.

I also used to go round and collect the special offer trolleys so I could put them back and pocket the £1 coins that we took out of the till every morning to get them out.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    edited June 2016
    If you frequent Reddit, you should post this to https://www.reddit.com/r/IDontWorkHereLady/
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33984
    I do not, I'm afraid.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1338
    Well played! Not often you get the chance to quickly make your "I should have said this:....!".

I've done this a few times to people. The awkwardness can be comical after the fact.
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    octatonic said:

They're just before the chickens

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10015
    cj73;1132031" said:
    Handsome_Chris said:

octatonic said:

Just had a weird trip to the shops.I need to tell you what I was wearing, because it seems that wearing, biker boots, black jeans and a Belstaff jacket (was on the bike) is too close to the Co-op employees uniform of black trousers and a black zip-up sweater for people to be able to tell the difference.

I was getting my bits and pieces, somewhat distracted by the task at hand and a woman walked up to me and said "Where are your eggs?", fairly rudely I might add.I thought she was talking to the person behind me, who was not working there but look at egg-lady and she was looking right at me, clearly thinking I was an employee.Because there was a delay in me responding while I was working it out she rather aggressively repeated her request with one word.

"EGGS!" she repeated, louder this time, as though she was talking to a simpleton.At that point a small woman with a name badge walked over to see what was happening.

By this time I was able to respond with "Oh, do you think I work here?" to egg-woman.Rather than apologise she just wordlessly stormed off to wander the aisles, no doubt on her egg quest.

The Co-op employee apologised for egg-woman, which I said was unnecessary but enquired if that was how people speak to her on a daily basis.She didn't respond but she did not need to.(I must remember to be extra nice to people who work in shops- what a thankless job.)

By this time I was wise to it and I responded with "I'm sorry sir, but Co-op has decided that you are all too fat and we've stopped selling hummus until you all lose some weight' and turned on my heel.He was spluttering at me until I said loudly "I DON"T WORK HERE".

The employee who apologised earlier was working at the till when I was there, and Egg lady was a couple of people behind me.We chatted while she rung things up for me and throwing egg-woman a quick look I bid the employee farewell with 'Have an Eggcellent Day'.

They're just before the chickens
    Depends entirely on your philosophical viewpoint
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    Great story, OP.
    How rude of that lady not to apologise!