Gibson Les Paul Studio 2012 Tuning Stability

What's Hot
derndern Frets: 357
edited June 2016 in Making & Modding
I've had this guitar from new and the tuning stability has never been great compared to other guitars but it will be my main gigging guitar and the tuning stability is starting to become an issue during rehearsal. I always lube the nut and the bridge contact points with graphite when I install strings and install the strings using the wrap over method I use on all the other guitars with no problems on those. I always tune up to the correct pitch rather than down.

The current setup is 10s tuned to a semi-tone low with a wrap over bridge installation. The wrap over bridge is something I've just started trying and I can't hear it makes much if any difference so happy to ditch it if it is making the tuning stability worse.

To stabilise the tuning would you replace the tuning pegs? They've never been that great and don't feel positive. If you would change them which would you recommend?

Thanks,

Mark
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    edited June 2016
    Hi, Mark You are covering most of the basics already. Having said that, tuning issues usually have something to do with the nut. Lubed, yes, but have you had the slots addressed? If not, it's worth the few £ for a proper techie to do it. Very rare for new decent guitar tuners to be the root cause, especially if you are always tuning up to pitch. Do you fully stretch your strings when you restring?
  • derndern Frets: 357
    Hi, yes I stretch the strings. I'll take a look at the nut but I never get any of those pinging noises from it when I tune if that has any bearing.

Thanks,

Mark
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I've had a couple of Studios over the years .. the nuts were appalling and caused me tuning issues. Had them changed on both my guitars (now sold) and I never had any tuning problems. How old is your guitar?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    It's a 2012 and I bought it new in 2013.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    It will be the nut. Truly abysmal from the factory on all of them I've ever tried.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    impmann said:
    It will be the nut. Truly abysmal from the factory on all of them I've ever tried.

^^

Agree. Looks like the nut to me.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Is there a nut that people recommend I install? I'm limited to fitting nuts with pre-cut slots.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16990
    dern;1134262" said:
    Is there a nut that people recommend I install? I'm limited to fitting nuts with pre-cut slots.
    Then take it to a tech as pre-cut slots are only starter slots and wont be cut to the correct depth
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7137
    edited July 2016 tFB Trader
    Also, these Corian nuts tend to be very well glued in and need to be carefully cut out.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    edited July 2016

Also, these Corian nuts tend to be very well glued in and need to be carefully cut out.

Yes, unless you are very confident I'd give the guitar to a tech...

On and the plus side is that tone improves with a decent bone nut IMHO.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Thanks for the advice, I'll find someone local to do this. If it was any of my beater guitars I'd have a go but this needs to be reliable and play well.