Interesting...EU Passports?

What's Hot
digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27093
edited June 2016 in Off Topic
Just spotted this:

Basically, they're considering giving students European passports so they can study abroad. Now, this is interesting, because - to my knowledge - there's no such thing as a European passport, only passports issued by member states which confirm EU citizenship as a side-effect of being a citizen of a member state.

So...if they do this, then they're actually creating a new type of passport for a particular class of people, which - to my understanding of EU discrimination law - they can't withhold from other classes of individual, on the basis that it's ageism-by-proxy (on average). Alternatively, if there's no age-based component, you could register as a student at any age and get the right to a passport (thus skipping any potential future visa requirements if freedom of movement isn't part of the exit deal).

Now, obviously I'm not a lawyer, but surely if they're successful this would open the door to the possibility of other UK citizens being able to challenge the class-specific nature of it and get an EU passport which is valid after we've left the EU?
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17917
    tFB Trader
    The condition might be that you earn a scholarship at a top university and complete your course in which case I expect they will be happy to dish out a passport.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27093
    The condition might be that you earn a scholarship at a top university and complete your course in which case I expect they will be happy to dish out a passport.
    If you complete the course, you're no longer a student...which kind of defeats the point. The article is obviously light on details, but even so...creating this new EU passport and restricting it to a class of people strikes me as very open to a discrimination challenge.

Clearly the French will probably ignore it like they do everything else, but still... ;)
    <space for hire>
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5518
    What's the difference between applying for a hypothetical "EU passport" and simply a student visa (which have to be the easiest document in the world to get if you are scholarly and have been accepted at a university) ?

Seems like an unnecessary complication. 
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Wrong section (again) ;)
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2432
    Moss said:
    Wrong section (again) ;)
    Ah, I thought it meant all new members get an EU passport.
  • skankdelvarskankdelvar Frets: 473
    An entirely new class of passport and citizenship out of thin air? Renzi making up 'policy' as he goes along.

He probably said it for a laugh; but then, Renzi needs a laugh right now. Italy's economy going to pieces and the euro-phobic 5-Star Movement is about to ram a barbed wire-wrapped traffic cone up his arse at the next election.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    "Passports, passports..
    Buy a university course, get your own passport!"
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5071
    edited June 2016
    It's entirely possible that the EU could simply add a Vignette to page 6 (or 8, if you've got a new one!) to an existing British passport giving the holder EU citizen's rights.

We already do a UK version of this for Hong Kong nationals in their Non-EU British Citizen passports. They have rights to enter and work in the UK, but none of the EU citizens rights to free movement on the continent.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • I'm tempted to go for an Irish passport, just for a bit of flexibility.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    A ploy from the EU ... you can already get an EU-wide visa that can cover work or study.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    I'm tempted to go for an Irish passport, just for a bit of flexibility.
    You just like to take a 'punt'.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I saw what you did there.