Scam phone numbers

What's Hot
NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4953
I got called today (twice) - didn't answer either call as I didn't recognise the calling number.

The number had a dial code of 01247.  Interestingly, this code is now defunct - it used to be Bangor in Northern Ireland.

The question is, how do these scam companies manage to use numbers that aren't in circulation?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    Caller ID spoofing. It's extremely easy with fairly cheap equipment.

Essentially, there is no security or verification in the number you transmit as the caller ID. You can put anything in there when you call from anywhere in the world. In many countries it's illegal but if you spoof a number when calling from India (for example) to the UK, you have no idea who is calling or what number they are actually calling them from so ther eis essentially zero chance of finding out who's doing it. The old PSTN network was never really intended for the way it is being used now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4953
    Thank you, @vasselmeyer - useful article.  So, it's illegal in the UK according to that article:

In the U.K., the spoofed number is called the "presentation number". This must be either allocated to the caller, or if allocated to a third party, it is only to be used with the third party's explicit permission.

(since the number is not allocated to anyone).
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24876
    edited July 2016
    Slightly unrelated - but two techniques when taking an unsolicited call which are working well for me:

1. When the caller (inevitably) asks 'How are you today?', I always reply 'Astounding'. It's amazing how much this throws them.

2. Once they start their spiel, I ask 'where did you get my number from?' They'll usually respond with something like 'it's on our system' - to which I reply 'Yes I get that. What I'm asking is where did you get it from?' At that point, they almost always end the call.
  • vizviz Frets: 10778
    edited July 2016
    One of these people rang us the other day from an 'unknown' number and asked to speak to my wife (pronouncing the name wrongly as they always do - dead giveaway), so, glancing over to my wife I repeated the name in this person's special call-centre way - my wife frantically shook her head and jabbed her finger at me, so I said in my most condescending voice 'No I don't believe I'll be passing the phone over to her, thank you very much, I'll handle this one shall I? Now, what did you want to sell her, something nice I hope?' And she said 'well I want to ask if we can change my daughter's piano lesson to 4pm on Saturday'. I handed the phone over and did the Basil Fawlty thing of crouching down onto my haunches, covering my head with my arms and slowly lollopping out of the room in shame.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    19reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lol.

In a less amusing anecdote, I took over a job from somebody called Carl, who had shit loads of debt. Most of the calls I got were from numbers made up of zeroes, which I'd cut off immediately. The rest were a detached Indian voice asking to speak to 'Carol'.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24876
    edited July 2016
    Guitar_Slinger;1134175" said:
    Lol.

In a less amusing anecdote, I took over a job from somebody called Carl, who had shit loads of debt. Most of the calls I got were from numbers made up of zeroes, which I'd cut off immediately. The rest were a detached Indian voice asking to speak to 'Carol'.
    I had a call recently from someone with the strongest of Asian accents who reckoned he was called Jake.

I asked him if he was sure he was called Jake? He assured me he was. I asked him if he was really sure, as he sounded Asian and Jake isn't a name I've ever come across during in my extensive dealings with the Asian community.

He put the phone down on me....
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 769
    Get a call blocker phone - it makes life a lot easier.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6274
    I have until very recently been harrassed by Energy Save UK (I think) - 8 or 9 calls a day from numbers as far flung as Shetland, all asking to know about my energy supply. I ended up losing my cool completely, not shouting, but not far off, threatened reporting for harrassment etc.

It has actually stopped. But it went on for about 2 months. I'd get a call, tell them to stop, then maybe as little as half an hour later, I'd get another. Despite demanding I be removed from the records, would still carry on. Did all the stuff recommended on line for pestering calls and, fingers crossed, its stopped.

V annoying.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2179
    Download "who called me" if you have an android phone. You can then search and block the number.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3090
    edited July 2016
    My twelve year old son gets calls from a PPI company almost every day. 

I lost my rag with them the other day, grabbed the phone from my lad and asked the bloke if he knew the consequences of hassling young boys on the telephone.