Secret Cinema

CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
Anyone done one of these before?

Wife is dragging me to the Dirty Dancing one and we are trying to plan getting there and child care.  Details are sketchy as it's obviously meant to be secret.

It's somewhere in/near Leyton but need to know how long it all lasts, if it's walking distance to Leyton tube and when it might finish.  I'm assuming they use the same location for each one or someone on here might be local to Leyton and seen where this one is.

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7900
    No idea but the back to the future one looked great.
  • stickersticker Frets: 869

Yep went to the Back to the Future one 2 years ago and the other half and her mum are going to Dirty Dancing .

They don't use the same locations but do favour the east end of London/Stratford/Hackney areas .

They have done Dirty Dancing before and that was at Hackney Downs Park .

The meet being at Leyton tube station would suggest this Olympic Park ...

Back to the Future was at the Olympic park and was fantastic , they recreated the whole of Hill Valley square including all the shops , High School  etc with the movie projected on to the Town hall .

about 80% of people dressed in 1950's style (even it was just a bowling shirt and jeans) and practically everyone handed in their mobile phones which was a nice touch to see people using old style cameras and not being head down updating Facebook or taking selfies !

there were a cast of several hundred "extras" acting as characters and helping to create an atmosphere which can be a bit "am dram" but is good fun .

During the film , parts were acted out by actors in synch with the action on the screen ( in BTTF the skateboard scenes and the bit where Doc Brown zip lines from the clock tower were particular highlights !)

The booze was about £5 for a small can of Bud , £12 for a bottle of wine - Burger and fries was £7 (and was really good ).

There are no seats - everyone sits on the ground so take a picnic blanket or if you need a chair be prepared to sit out on one side

rain ponchos are available for £1 .

I loved the BTTF one and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it ( but it is one of my favourite films) .

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5203
    I was dragged kicking and screaming to an outside screening of Dirty Dancing last year..it also rained :)
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    @sticker thanks for the info.

It does sound fun (although not sure I have ever actually seen dirty dancing...). Really should have done the BTTF one.

Did you just get to wander around the set before the film?

Do you remember how long it all lasted?
  • stickersticker Frets: 869

yep we got in about 5pm , plenty to see and do - band (Marvin Berry and the Starlighters clones) came on at about 8pm for a bit - then film started around 8:30/9ish - just as it was starting to get dark .

Got to Stratford tube about 11:30ish .

It was a great experience ,  you'll get more out of it if you are familiar with the film though , so perhaps give it a watch before you go if you can .

• This really sounds like another one of life's great experiences that I need to try.