Should voting be compulsory?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    octatonic said:
    No frickin' way. I enjoy the right to keep my opinion to myself. 
    Compulsory voting doesn't mean you have to put something down on the ballot.
    You can always vote informally- turn up, tick your name off and walk away.

Some people do this.
    I'd say though that, at least in Australia, that compulsory voting means more people get involved in the political process.
    Maybe the reason Australia beats us at sports is that the state forces people to get off their arses instead of allowing them the freedom to not give a f*ck in the comfort of their own homes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    I think it should be compulsory to be registered to vote; but not compulsory to vote (unless there's a ''none of the above'' option on the ballot paper)
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 769
    Just had a quick google for None of the Above as an option on ballots.
    The latest petition has 517 signatures, so maybe not that popular after all.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    edited July 2016
    Compulsory voting is a bad idea. Just think about how stupid the averge person is. Now think that at least 50% of people are even more stupid than that. Ideas will be simplified and simplified to get to the lowest common denominatorand all pretence of a reasoned debate will disappear.

Currently, if you vote, at least you're interested enough to have some idea of who you're voting for and why.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 769
    Compulsory voting is a bad idea. Just think about how stupid the averge person is. Now think that at least 50% of people are even more stupid than that. Ideas will be simplified and simplified to get to the lowest common denominatorand all pretence of a reasoned debate will disappear.

Currently, if you vote, at least you're interested enough to have some idea of who you're voting for and why.
    I assume you are being ironic here.
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    edited July 2016
    CabbageCat;1138933" said:
    octatonic said:

CabbageCat said:

No frickin' way. I enjoy the right to keep my opinion to myself. Compulsory voting doesn't mean you have to put something down on the ballot.You can always vote informally- turn up, tick your name off and walk away.

Some people do this.I'd say though that, at least in Australia, that compulsory voting means more people get involved in the political process.

Maybe the reason Australia beats us at sports is that the state forces people to get off their arses instead of allowing them the freedom to not give a f*ck in the comfort of their own homes.
    What mainstream sports does Australia beat us at? I can think of swimming, maybe, rugby league and...
    Use Your Brian