Gibson finishing standards...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• NeilNeil Frets: 3700

;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    Ah DV247....shipped from musicstore.de. I have a midtown VSB on the way back to them (music store) after receiving a new one pre damaged for my convenience.

No way should you accept one without the warranty card etc and in that condition. That is either a used one or customer return. They have the polishing/buffing machines so can remove light scratches and buckle rash etc to make it look new.

Did the serial number on the outer box match the guitar?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ah DV247....shipped from musicstore.de. I have a midtown VSB on the way back to them (music store) after receiving a new one pre damaged for my convenience.

No way should you accept one without the warranty card etc and in that condition. That is either a used one or customer return. They have the polishing/buffing machines so can remove light scratches and buckle rash etc to make it look new.

• imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3860
    edited July 2016
    Sync said:
    The serial number is actually barely readable!  But the box, after closer inspection, didn't match the guitar as it was from a 2016 Standard.  I'm still happy with the instrument and price - my original post was based on Gibson's standards, although it's maybe ultimately about DV247's standards!

Is that a Custom VSB?  Not sure what VSB stands for!
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • milambermilamber Frets: 118
    I've not actually bought from DV247, but made a decision to steer clear based on reviews I'd seen, particularly on FB, which echo your experience. Also I have contacted them several times in the last fortnight. Of the three guitars I asked about, one wasn't in stock despite showing as 5 available; one's price increased when I enquired, although the online price was still the lower one and the other was ex display, but didn't mention this on the website.

Also I asked if they checked and set up guitars prior to despatch and they replied that they only did for guitars costing over £1000. Less than that and they charge extra or send directly as from the factory.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8145
    edited July 2016
    I've heard Gibson are improving QC
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Vintage Sunburst.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    They did you a service! It's pre reliced.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sync said:
    Vintage Sunburst.
    Shame it has to go back.  I love my Pelham Blue one, although it required a little bit of work to really get it up to scratch.

My band, Red For Dissent
    They did you a service! It's pre reliced.
    It'll end up with worse in my ownership, so I'm not too concerned :)

My band, Red For Dissent
  • My pal has a 5 year old goldtop with some noticeable cracking/lifting on the top and sides, contacted Gibson and got no replies?
    My pal has a 5 year old goldtop with some noticeable cracking/lifting on the top and sides, contacted Gibson and got no replies?
    They will just tell him to go to the dealer anyway.  I emailed Gibson out of interest and that's precisely what they told me to do (although they are sending me the missing 'case candy').  Given the partial refund, that's my acceptance of the standard it's in so I can't go back.  As I say, a friend is a skilled luthier and I'm sure it's all totally salvageable without massive expense.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    Without wishing to let Gibson off the hook - even 'Golden Era' instruments have their issues - this isn't a new phenomenon.

The kind of people who accuse PRS et al of being 'sterile' and 'soulless' love these kinds of flaws....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1713
    My 2015 midtown is perfect .Cant find a fault at all despite looking hard.Case could do with a fourth  catch though .
    rossi said:
    My 2015 midtown is perfect .Cant find a fault at all despite looking hard.Case could do with a fourth  catch though .
    Totally agree.  It feels a bit floppy.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Without wishing to let Gibson off the hook - even 'Golden Era' instruments have their issues - this isn't a new phenomenon.

The kind of people who accuse PRS et al of being 'sterile' and 'soulless' love these kinds of flaws....
    Haters gonna hate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Send it back. That is well out of order. 

This is not 1958, and the machinery to make guitars is miles different and more accurate. That is simply not what you paid for. 
    Evilmags said:
    Send it back. That is well out of order. 

This is not 1958, and the machinery to make guitars is miles different and more accurate. That is simply not what you paid for. 
    That's all down to price really...

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16965
    richardhomer;1140649" said:

I get the point but its not really the same thing.

I am all for the odd sign of being handmade, my guitars certainly show it... But there is a big difference between hand made anomalies and actual flaws. Anyway, they are not really handmade like they used to be so that's no excuse.

• I got laughed at for banging on about it but I saw a cherry red custom shop 335 that has no finish on the inside edge of the f hole (and images and other examples showed it absolutely should have) as well as poor finishing elsewhere. It was £2399 if I remember right. Bonkers! Being ply, you don't really want to see the edge of the wood - ugly. But when Gibson et it right, the guitars can be stunning. And they can be stunning across the board -ive played an awesome lpj.