Strat builders

What's Hot
mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 328
I have for a while now been pretty set on having a strat built by Simon Law at SVL guitars and have been slowly gathering the funds together.

However browsing the Charles guitars website and I see they are now offering a strat build with great looking specs, 7 day trail period and significantly less outlay than the SVL.

Anyone tried either of these?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BlacksheepBlacksheep Frets: 294
    edited July 2016
    Unless Charles Guitars are making their own bodies and necks are they not simply offering a top quality partscaster?

I was under the impression Simon Law does produce his own neck and bodies (but I could be wrong.)

It seems to me with SVL you are getting a guitar made to your specs. With Charles Guitars you are getting a guitar made to their specs and then a 7-day trial period.

I have never played a Charles Guitar so I may be doing them a disservice. I have played an SVL. Nice guitar but not noticeably better than any other high-end Strat-type I've played.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4126
    Not played either, but the Charles specs look great. Depends on the quality of the wood though. Another option is to make your own. I've done a few and it's great fun. Get someone to cut the nut and finish it and you're good to go.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 464
    I'm a SVL 61 owner and can confirm that Simon builds his own necks and bodies and also winds some of his own pickups too. It's not perfect but is by far the best Strat I've owned and sounds amazing. I have other cheaper guitars including a gorgeous PRS DGT goldtop and some put together by me (thanks to GSP basses for a lovely neck and thinline tele body) that do come close though. Expensive? Yes. worth it? I think so.
  • armitaanarmitaan Frets: 380
    I've not found better strat than the one Jon from Bravewood did for me, does it all himself, only downside is takes about a year, but lovely guitars, ha e a strat and s tele and best of each have come across
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 328
    This is the debate I am having with myself, on one hand you could say the Charles guitar is an expensive partscaster but other than the fact SVL make their own bodies and necks the specs on the two are very comparable. My other option is Angela Arnott at 42nd street guitars. I already have an esquire built buy her and it is sooooo good, the feel, the sound everything! She may be a better option than the Charles guitar as I have a good working relationship with her, know the quality of her work and would have a lot of input on the spec, much more than the Charles guitar for probably a similar outlay.

But on the other hand every one I speak to who owns or have played an SVL says it is the best strat they have ever played!!!!
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 667
    I have for a while now been pretty set on having a strat built by Simon Law at SVL guitars and have been slowly gathering the funds together.

However browsing the Charles guitars website and I see they are now offering a strat build with great looking specs, 7 day trail period and significantly less outlay than the SVL.

Anyone tried either of these?
    I've been thinking the same regarding an SLV but in the last week became aware of Charles Guitars. Seems great value for money, Callaham hardware, quality pickups, quarter sawn neck etc.

@JCA2250 do you know for sure that Simon makes his own necks and bodies? There's a quote from him on the USA Custom Guitars site about using their services. I'm sure someone on here or the old Music Radar site said something about the SVL guitars using USACG necks and bodies.
    As for his pickups I was under the impression they were made by Amalfitano??
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    If you fancy something really hand built, check zero one guitars on facebook/Internet. Local to me and amazing stuff...
    @Jetfire. zero one stuff looks classy. Any idea what his prices are? I don't want to email him with inquiries because I'm not really in the market for another Strat.
    I thought the 42nd St strats were Allparts bodies and necks. Nothing wrong with that. But IMHO USACG is a noticeable step up in terms of quality. I have bought two necks from Tommy at USACG made to my specs and they are Fender masterbuilt standard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4126
    Agree on the USACG stuff. Brilliant
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 328
    edited July 2016
    @Blacksheep just checked with Angela at 42nd street and she said she hand makes all her bodies and on her production guitars will buy the necks and finish them herself to keep the cost down but regularly makes her own necks too if that's what the customer wants
    @mark_jwedge in which case they sound like a great option. I do believe that in general the quality of Strats, whether off the shelf or custom made, is extremely high nowadays. Which of course doesn't help you make up your mind.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    edited July 2016 tFB Trader
    Someone else making the bodies and necks etc is not uncommon, just ask the maker.

I class a custom guitar as made from start to finish by someone who actually makes it including picking the wood and spec etc otherwise it's just a kit you're paying for imo.

That's my take on it, we do everything ourselves and that's what i'd expect as a paying customer.

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    I'll speak to Jeff tomorrow and I'll post a rough guide :)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17494
    customkits;1142460" said:
    Someone else making the bodies and necks etc is not uncommon, just ask the maker.

I class a custom guitar as made from start to finish by someone who actually makes it including picking the wood and spec etc otherwise it's just a kit you're paying for imo.

That's my take on it, we do everything ourselves and that's what i'd expect as a paying customer.

Do you also chop down the trees and make all your own hardware?

There are many ways to build a guitar, as long as the maker is honest about it does it really matter how much they do themselves.

I say this as someone who has attempted it all successfully numerous times, but also builds from parts, or orders in preslotted fretboards, or ships out some finishing duties etc.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2016 tFB Trader
    Why do you insist on taking the piss every time I post something.
    If you don't like what I say then say something constructive.

What part of that don't you understand

A custom guitar maker should do everything start to finish imo, nothing else to say

You'll also note I said ask the maker

I do go and choose all my wood and cut planks down to size, that will have been kiln dried or do you think I should now get a saw mill

I got alot of wood from a saw mill owner in Africa and I went through it when it's here.

I know what and where my stuff comes from and I'm pickey about final weights that's why I go myself.

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Dude, don't take it so seriously.

The point I am making I there will always be someone who does more themselves. We had a debate about the masterbuilt term recently, essentially just building a partscaster by all accounts - but there is still a lot of skill in that

Unfortunately your definition of custom does not match the markets definition of custom. Yours would rule out most uk luthiers.

Personally, I don't make fender style necks in standard fender wood because its just not worth my time when good quality ones can be purchased and modded to suit. I have built them in the past though, numerous times.
    tFB Trader
    Most of the builders i know go and source all there wood otherwise you don't know what you're getting.

I just think if it's a custom guitar that implies it's made by one person start to finish otherwise your choosing parts for a kit.

I do recall when I started posting on here about maybe doing kits it got some negative comments and if its too expensive etc yet that's what some people are essentially getting and maybe without even knowing.

I'm not saying it's wrong or anything but people should know what they're paying for.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    I agree with that last sentence wholeheartedly.

Custom to most people just means deviation from standard spec. Go back to the 60's and it often just meant a non-standard colour or a couple of upgraded features on a factory made guitar

So unfortunately custom, in guitar terms, rarely means its been built from the ground up to be different. to me custom still fits what the parts builders offer, just like it fits what fender churn out from their custom shop.

Bespoke may be a more accurate term for what you are offering.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30357
    As @armitaan mentioned, Bravewood are hard to beat. I don't know if he makes them from trees that grow in his own garden but however he makes them, they're the closest to good pre-CBS Strats I've ever played.