Whats this that my dog has chewed through?

What's Hot
DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7434
Underneath my boiler. I've had the carbon monoxide monitor next to it and there's no leak. I just need to know what the pipe is called so I can look for a replacement.

https://i.imgur.com/CenPRAe.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    It looks like the filling loop, but the ones I have seen have had two taps/valves. Is it chewed through?
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7434
    There does seem to be a hole through a part of it. Should i turn off the boiler? I don't even know how long its been like that. I assume the dog chewed through it, but we've only lived here 2 weeks so it could have been like that all the time and we just hadn't noticed.
    Is it to do with the pressure? We have noticed that the water pressure on the second floor is really shit. Fine on the first floor though.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    It looks like a water pipe so if it isn't leaking and the boiler isn't dropping in pressure I wouldn't worry about turning it off.

Of course I'm not a plumber, just saying what it looks like to me.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12521
    Yeah that's the filling loop. It won't leak at the moment as the valves at each end are shut off. Just get a new one.

As for pressure, the boiler should be showing about 1 bar on the gauge when it's running. If not, open the loop and top it up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    boogieman;1139825" said:
    If not, open the loop and top it up.
    Not until you've replaced it though :)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33989
    edited July 2016
    Definitely the filling loop.
    No immediate danger but when you need to fill up the boiler you will be an world of hurt if you don't replace it.

Let's get a look at his guilty face then...
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16296
    Its technically not Gas reg legal to leave the filler loop on -you are supposed to re-attach only when re-pressurizing the boiler
    90 %of people leave it on though
    octatonic;1139838" said:
    Definitely the filling loop.No immediate danger but when you need to fill up the boiler you will be an world of hurt if you don't replace it.

Let's get a look at his guilty face then...
    He won't even look at me haha.

https://i.imgur.com/PDgJabJ.jpg
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Awesome.

He totally knows.
    This is one from when he fell down the stairs trying to hide the fact he'd been upstairs when he knows he's not allowed.

https://i.imgur.com/RkIndCW.jpg
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Awwww... he's a cutey.
    DefaultM;1139819" said:
    Is it to do with the pressure? We have noticed that the water pressure on the second floor is really shit. Fine on the first floor though.
    Just saw this bit. If the boiler is running at the right pressure (1-1.5 bar on the gauge when the boiler's fired up) and you're still getting lousy heat flow to the rads on the second floor it could be a couple of things. Either the rads aren't balanced properly or there's a pressure vessel fitted somewhere that's lost pressure. Looks like a big metal can, usually red, with a tyre valve on it and it'll be attached to the pipe work. This needs to be pressurised too. The balancing can be done easily enough, just a bit of a fiddly job. You can check there's enough pressure in the vessel (should be about 1.5 bar) and top it up with a car foot pump but realistically it might be a job for a plumber to sort out.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2491
    http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Straight-Filling-Loop-15mm/p/160094

Also re the water pressure, is it the cold water? If so then check your stopcock (ooer missus) is fully open. If it already is then you're going to struggle.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    Thanks. The cold is fine, it's just the hot that comes out at a really slow speed. Takes absolutely ages to fill up a bath.
    DefaultM;1140285" said:
    Thanks. The cold is fine, it's just the hot that comes out at a really slow speed. Takes absolutely ages to fill up a bath.
    DefaultM;1140285" said:
    Ah sorry, you were talking about the water pressure, not the rads. Ignore my comments above then.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2491
    DefaultM said:
    If it's fine on the first floor then I'd check all the taps upstairs have the same issue (some are crap) if so I'd then look at a "whole house pump" and connect it to the upstairs feed from the boiler.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    DefaultM said:
    This is one from when he fell down the stairs trying to hide the fact he'd been upstairs when he knows he's not allowed.

https://i.imgur.com/RkIndCW.jpg

He's got that 'guilty as fuck' look in his eyes.