on a scale of 1-10 how much do you enjoy your job?

What's Hot

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2941
    7-8 probably. I'm a video editor for a horse racing tv channel. I love that I'm actually doing something creative that I went to uni for (so much for everyone saying my media production degree would be useless!), that after 4 years I still don't hate going in to work every day. Hate working weekends but I do like having days off in the week as it means I can get chores/shopping and that sort of thing done without having to battle the hoards of 9-5ers in supermarkets etc ! Pays well and everyone I work with is sound.

Seeing and cutting horse racing material does get very boring though especially as I don't even enjoy racing that much. I'd love to find a similar job but working on more diverse content.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    10 on payday.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17856
    tFB Trader
    I think about an 8.5.

I'm a software developer for a small high tech. We're always busy and as long as I keep delivering solutions that work I get a free hand about how I go about doing stuff. The team is full of smart people that I get on with.
    It's rare that I have to work evenings and weekends which is great as I have a young family.

I've definitely come to realise that software development is what makes me happy much more so than broadcast tech which is what I used to do. 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7349
    Somewhere between 4 and 8 depending on when you ask me :D
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2269
    My wage is slightly over the current average. However it's the other bits that make it worthwhile. I get a lot of holidays and work flexi time. I often finish early on a Friday. I also get to travel and work with some really good people. I'll give it an 8. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Just occurred to me that it would be funny if I changed the thread title to "how long is your penis, and tell me about your job"

snigger snigger ......
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6927
    edited July 2016
    In terms of little job satisfaction, the commute, no prospects, no personal development and dealing with fucktards on an daily basis it's a 3.

But being aware that I get more than average pay, good conditions, decent pension and flexibility, and that it funds my family life it has to be an 8.

It must be nice to enjoy work and get enthused by it. However I'm personally not in that position right now.

Equally I would never whinge about what I have got. I made the choice and appreciate my situation - I have colleagues that constantly moan about the job and it pisses me off. They can't be arsed to find anything else but happily moan about what they have got. Which is not a bad job.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I walk into work, don't have a particularly heavy workload, and there's one or two people in the office that aren't complete fucktards, but not many. Money is ok, but we get overtime occasionally which averages out to a few grand a year which bumps it up a bit, and I finish at 3:30 everyday! The work is soul crushingly boring though. I'm in the process of starting my own business so have a side job in a bar to get some extra cash which is the most fun you can have while in a job IMO. I'd give the office job a 7 overall but a 1 for the actual work I do. Bar job I'd give a 10.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16337
    All over the scale at the moment. Working my notice has given me some ease about the job (okay, if not about the future) that's maybe bumped it up slightly.
    The bigger picture of having helped people is good, the smaller picture of having to resolve stupid arguments over car parking spaces and implement fuckwitted senior management decisions not so good.
    Still, if anyone wants a lengthy diatribe on the downside of privatising public sector work I can now do that at length with examples...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2738
    the management is poor 

So above average then.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    edited July 2016
    8-9/10 I love my job, I drive around fixing stuff, it's interesting, varied, pays pretty well, only downside is the long hours and getting called out at 9pm on a Sat.......
    I get left alone pretty much, I can listen to my music as loud as I like in my van and I can wear headphones.
    Not too bad.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    edited September 2016

• exocetexocet Frets: 1973
    edited July 2016
    I'm going to go 6.5 - 7. I think that's a fair score though to be honest, it's probably what the majority would say. The job's really not for me, but I guess I'm trapped by financial needs. It's not making me ill, I get to relax, hardly ever feel the need to work extra hours, I earn a fair wedge. When I think about it, I've been part of teams which have achieved great things, although to be honest I still see mobile phones as largely useless and building the networks for them even more so. Doh.

I want something different for my daughter though. My wife and I think she'll be the type who simply won't survive in a 9-5 job, will need to focus on something for herself, more the type of person who will need to just BE their job and will create some sort of niche market, small company type affair.
    Pretty much sums up my position. I'd give my job 7/10.

If I was just starting out, I'd say 10/10 because although I work for a large company, I largely dictate my own daily schedule and can normally factor in my own working hours - not always though and sometimes you simply have to do what it takes to get meet deadlines.

However, I know that my job is a bit of a "fur lined rut" and it won't go on forever, I reckon I've got 2 - 3 years before everything changes (not a Brexit comment although that will definitely have an impact). I simply lack the drive / determination to make a change for fear of making my life difficult / facing the reality of simply being exposed  as "not being very competent".

So rather than plan my escape in preparation for the "next phase", I'll most likely just wait until the inevitable is forced upon me :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31886
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7913
    It varies massively from day to day - When I have a reasonable amount of work and it all goes smoothly it's not far off 10, but there are days like today when I don't have anything to do at all, and have to watch the F1 practice on the TV and the tennis on the PC.

I could do with a bit more work a little more often, and as a consequence I need to find a part time job to top up my earnings but apart from that things aren't too bad.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Current job 9.999999
    Get on great with boss/owner. And the other staff.
    Less money than the last job, but the hours are way better. And it's closer to home so I'm now spending £100/month on petrol not the £200+ I was.
    Last job -999999999999999999999999.9 
    I wanted to shove my fist into my last boss' mouth. Every time he breathed. 
    I did rub my bollocks round the rim of his tea mug, just before he drank from it. The best revenge ever.........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    About 6 or 7.

I've had the same job so long I don't really think about whether I enjoy it or not, it's just what I do.  But I like most of the people I work with, the pay's not astronomical but it more than covers my needs, the work itself is OK.  It's alright.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I'm sodding unemployed arent I? :(
    I've applied to a few, and one looked promising. I worked a half shift to meet the team but subsequent talks with the Assistant manager revealed that the 17 year old stoner college kid who gets high behind the building whilst on shift called her up in tears saying that he'd quit if I got the job.
    I'm sure it wouldnt matter as he did fuck all work, but he gets child minimum wage while I'd be paid more so I guess he wins out.
    The Ass. Manager also said I was too middle class to work there too.

Would have given that job an 8 if I'd got it, as it'd have meant I could get on the road and build roadcraft on a bike on someone elses insurance.

I don't have a car or bike, so wherever I work needs to be walking distance and that leaves me with the √fuck all to apply for.
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    Never more than 7 in any job.

Fortunately, though, I haven't been a wage or salary slave for a number of years.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12452
    9.5/10 cos nowts perfect is it?

I work at a large residential high school for kids with emotional/behavioural issues, basically kids that have come from terrible home backgrounds or care placements that have broken down. The kids are awesome even though they have us running around like idiots/abscond/try to beat us up/smash the place up/steal keys to the buildings etc. Our job is to give them the best care possible so that they can leave us as functioning adults and make it in the wider world without going to prison.

Sometimes we manage that and sometimes we don't. Work colleagues and manager are great, a real sense of camaraderie and gallows humour especially when we recap on the events of a mad shift that often involves fighting/physical intervention, conflict resolution. Some of the situations we find ourselves in most people would not believe. Everyone says  "I couldn't do your job" but to be honest its the only kind of work I could do now and I have to say the same to them. These kids can be funny as fuck, loving and caring but also very volatile. The best thing for them is to know that you are going to stick around, they test you all the time to push you away. loads of staff come and go because they can't hack it after a few bad shifts but we've got a really strong core of staff now. I have to say its the best job I've ever had. 

And it makes me realise that my own kids are two little angels even when they are being a pain in the arse
    :)
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom