alternative to fret doctor?

What's Hot
I want to darken a rosewood fretboard. Looking online, fret doctor seems to be the stuff to use, but it's £20 +p&p a bottle!

Is there anything cheaper that does the same thing?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31241
    You can go to A+E and wait, if it's a minor issue.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2994
    edited July 2016 tFB Trader

Any spirit-based dye will do fine. I use Fiebings leather dye, one from Rothko-Frost and drinking man's off-the-shelf Rustins furniture dyes. The only difference between any dye and a cheapo is the quality of the pigment. Just doing one now as it happens, mix of R&K black and a nice rich Rustins brown.
    V.thin coat of linseed after, lemon oil to finish once thats dry, seals it / stops it coming off on fingertips.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Corvus said:

Any spirit-based dye will do fine. I use Fiebings leather dye, one from Rothko-Frost and drinking man's off-the-shelf Rustins furniture dyes. The only difference between any dye and a cheapo is the quality of the pigment. Just doing one now as it happens, mix of R&K black and a nice rich Rustins brown.
    V.thin coat of linseed after, lemon oil to finish once thats dry, seals it / stops it coming off on fingertips.

Many thanks!
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2994
    tFB Trader

No worries! Should say any drying oil should do the job, a super thin wipe usually dry next day with luck. The lemon oil just makes it feel like normal again, after the sealing oil makes it feel a bit different.