Upgrading tune o matic

What's Hot
I just got myself a 2012 LP Studio. Plays great and sounds great plugged in but acoustically there's something about it I'm not sure on. It sounds like the strings are resting on a tin can, a bit jangly and hollow sounding. 

Would upgrading the bridge to something of higher quality help? Like a Tone Pro or Gotoh bridge? Any advise before I make a decision to return it 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73127
    Tap the back of the neck joint with your knuckle.

Does it sound solid, or hollow?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Many, if not most, pure electrics sound pretty jangly unplugged. If it sounds good plugged in, is there a problem? I think it's very unlikely a different bridge would make any perceptible difference.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3101
    edited July 2016
    ICBM said:
    Tap the back of the neck joint with your knuckle.

Does it sound solid, or hollow?
    Sounds solid to me.

I had a Flying V in the past and that sounded good unplugged. I know it's an electric so what really matters is how it sounds through an amp, maybe I'm being too nit picky
    How high is the bridge, and can you get the tailpiece down tight to the body without the strings touching the back of it?

Sometimes these things are caused by odd resonances - hence the question about the neck joint, I've come across a few which are obviously hollow when tapped - and there isn't much you can do about them. I doubt a new bridge will help, but if any will it's the TonePros which locks to the posts. If the tailpiece can't be screwed down tight the TonePros one might help there too.

Vs are odd - they're extremely resonant unplugged, I think due to the very flexible neck joint by electric guitar standards and the long body wings acting almost like some sort of tuning fork. They sound completely different from a Les Paul, anyway.

If you think your Les Paul sounds bad unplugged, don't buy a 335 :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8160
    Try a solid bar bridge, such as a Compton or Tru Arc. You'll love the results.
    edited July 2016
    A 335 is what I think it sounds like. I'd expect it from a 335 not really an LP. Is that a common thing?
    Were they chambered in 2012? I can't remember...

I think that's when they started doing the weight relief thing. Just seen that a load of shops are now selling new Gibson SG Standards for £775, now I'm really torn about keeping the LP or returning it and getting an SG...

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    edited July 2016
    Out of interest I tapped the neck joints on my guitars today. Most sound broadly similar except my Singlecut resonates with a deeper tone all the way down the body when I tap the neck joint in a certain way. Reminds me of doing a bass tone on a hand drum if that makes any sense. It is an early one so pre-weight relief. Dunno what that means but I like the guitar.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4221
    If you are going to replace the Tunamatic, go for the Faber unit, by far the best engineered bridge I have ever fitted to a guitar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom