Anyone else into bicycle touring?

LoobsLoobs Frets: 3856
edited July 2016 in Off Topic
Figured there must be at least one other guy who is. 

Just finished Berlin - Copenhagen and a bit further. Was quite good, flat but unbelievably windy. Did it in 6 days, averaging 100km per day, nothing mental.

Last year did Berlin to Prague to Salzburg. Was much more interesting for sure. 

Thinking about next a much longer trip, maybe London or Berlin to Istanbul or something like that. I generally find eastern Europe a little more interesting than west. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6185
    edited July 2016
    Sounds like fun. What do you do for accommodations? Camping, B&B, 5* hotels?
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3856
    Last year was 75% camping then hostels here and there.

This year was hostels, B&B, couchsurfing, friends places. Mostly done on the fly with the airbnb or booking.com apps. 

Camping is more of an experience for sure but obviously not as comfortable. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6185
    Do you plan your route to avoid the main roads? I've been thinking of doing a longish journey by bike but have been put off a bit by the speed that traffic moves at these days, esp on dual carriageways etc.
    Yeah, I stay off big roads if at all possible. 

Cycle paths vary in quality and coverage but I try to stick to them. Sometimes I go on bigger roads if I want to get somewhere more direct, but only smallish roads or lanes. Never anything like a dual carriageway and I try to avoid faster speed limits (90kmph) if poss. 

In Germany where I live, the cycle path network is pretty fantastic, as it is in holland/belgium/denmark. I haven't really done much riding in the UK for a long time so couldn't really comment. 
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1855
    I've done a bit of light touring. Mainly round the western islands of Scotland and the Outer Hebrides. Really great fun and so nice to quietly roll about looking at the nature and enjoying the sights and sounds.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34006
    We do a bit, although it is more a care of load up the car with bikes, drive to a place and ride around it, rather than proper travel.
    The proper travel I do on motorcycle.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    I do a decent amount of cycling but touring is something I've never actually tried (other than a 2-day 200mile charity ride from Edinburgh to York). As soon as my kids are a bit older (maybe 12 and 9) I'd love to do a cycling tour down the west coast of France where I've heard there's a great cycle path that goes most of the way.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    Loobs said:
    Last year was 75% camping then hostels here and there.

This year was hostels, B&B, couchsurfing, friends places. Mostly done on the fly with the airbnb or booking.com apps. 

Camping is more of an experience for sure but obviously not as comfortable. 
    Isn't one of the difficulties of camping having to carry all that extra gear? that can't be easy.
    Speaking of gear, got any photos of your touring bike set up?
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1855
    Carrying the gear does mean extra weight and bulk but it opens up a whole world of lightweight gear GAS. Titanium pans, diddy tents and lightweight mats. All good fun planning and buying that stuff
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1160
    I'd love to do it, post some photos to inspire me.
    I'm sure someone on here had an amazing story about taking an acoustic guitar on a bike tour across Africa 20+years ago - anyone else remember that?
    I remember that, yeah.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    Like @octatonic our 'touring' tends to be from a base. Last year we drove to Amsterdam then cycled about for 2 days, then drove to Arnham and cycled about for a couple of days, finally to near Gauda/Rotterdam for some more stooging about. No longer in the first flush of youth, so flat sceenery and wonderful cycle routes make for a great time and pleasent travel method.
    It seems like most of the people I see out touring are of the slightly older generation.