Washburn HB 30 recommended pickup upgrade.

Hi all,

I'd appreciate thoughts on upgrading pickups on a washburn hb30 guitar. Anybody tried swapping out the stock pickups? I was thinking of going for the Tonerider AC4 Alnico IV Classic Humbucker Set - Nickel or the Tonerider AC2 Alnico II Classic Humbucker Set - Nickel they seem reaaonably priced on Amazon. I like to play blues on that guitar so heading toward BB King kind of tones. I struggle to notice a differnce in youtube reviews between the II and IV but may be because I am listening on computer speakers.

Which pups would you recommend?

Again, comments appreciated.

Wayne
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2994
    tFB Trader

Hi Wayne,
    I put an AC4 into my Dot (recording here clean), lucky enough to get one secondhand for notalot. The AC2 might be more the thing though, should be a bit sweeter/little less glassy but praps not a night & day difference - totally a guess not having heard their A2s but based on magnet swaps in other pickups (which can be done in these buckers).
    Also similar money are Regentone, I've got one in the bridge which I'm happy with but haven't tried a neck one, good luck,
    Cheers
    Bill

• notanonnotanon Frets: 624
    Thanks Bill, so compared to the original pups? A big transformation? Glad you swapped?
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2994
    tFB Trader
    Totally, but these were Epis so could be a lot worse than yours... Mine's an '02 Korean, nice build in itself but the pickups were kind of lifeless things and the swaps are a total transformation. The replacements, you can hear harmonics, richness etc all those worn-out "tone" terms.
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
    Irongear are great (and a good price too): these look right up your street: http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_pickups_006.htm
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 624
    @Longjaw thanks those do look the business!
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I had one of these. It had been upgraded with SD 59 (?) model pickups, which sounded rather nice!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.