The reporting of social media as news... lazy journalism or just the modern way?

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7835
Increasingly there seem to be more and more reports of how social media reacts to an event. I was reading this http://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/36759435 and just found it all a bit odd. They put bits in the football transfer gossip column too. I just find it all a bit odd. My feeling is that it's just a very cheap way of getting both quotes and content.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    Cost cutting at it's worst. The news programes and websites invite you to submit comment, photos and video of new stories to prevent professionals having to leave thier desks in London or the fancy new 'Media City' complex in Manchester. The only saving grace is that it reduces the amount of spin they can put on your words if they quote the source. Professional newshounds would write the same story several different ways and sell it to differing publishers. Knowing and having known a number of local and national newspaper people I have a very biased opionion of thier work. I haven't bought a newspaper for decades.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29209
    I don't think it's entirely about laziness or cost cutting; I think they're also working on the angle that people will feel more invested in the news if their ill-thought-out comments get included in it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22613
    It's a mixture of elements. Making people feel that they are part of the news is in. Cost cutting is an undoubted element though. The Indie now it's online dithed a load of experienced newshounds recently and hired fresh young things who will basically file their copy online with a cursory run through with legal. 

• 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    edited July 2016 tFB Trader

and

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited July 2016
    Nah, its cost-cutting. Putting in quotes from 3 people out of the million watching is just a way to claim it makes people feel involved - when your real aim is cost cutting.

Phone-in radio by another media...
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    It's easier to understand than the usual plebs out on the street. Anyone remember drunk skinhead ranting about muslamic ray guns?
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11449
    It's all engineered by Phil Space and Phil Time, two of the worst people in journalism these days.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom