May as Prime Minister ?

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    I'm no Tory, but I feel May was the best person to replace Cameron.

over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Is she any relation to James or Brian, they could both be good additions during the cabinet reshuffle?

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6156
    edited July 2016
    I wish her well. She's stepped into what must be the toughest job in the country. She was very diplomatic in her intro speech. Interested to see if she includes Osborne in her cabinet in any capacity.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72956
    Wow.

Osborne sacked.

Hammond as Chancellor.

BORIS as Foreign Secretary!

That's genius, I think. He now has no choice but to behave himself and negotiate properly with the EU.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Ro_S said:
    Clarky said:
    just saw a really nice pic of Theresa May and George Formby outside number 10
    they look so happy..
    No, no.   I was Alan Greenspan.   Or was it Woody Allen?

And his trousers were too long.
    my mistake… it was Arthur Askey
    play every note as if it were your first
    jeez… and there's me thinking that Boris would be running the Ministry of Silly Walks..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72956
    I thought so too, but I think she's been much cleverer than that. Of course you realise who will now get the blame if negotiating with the EU goes tits up… and he won't be able to just walk away from it this time. He'll also have his work cut out for the next few years, which will neutralise any possible threat of a leadership challenge, which might have persisted if he'd been left as a loose cannon on the back benches.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Gove. He hasn't been mentioned so far.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    I thought so too, but I think she's been much cleverer than that. Of course you realise who will now get the blame if negotiating with the EU goes tits up… and he won't be able to just walk away from it this time. He'll also have his work cut out for the next few years, which will neutralise any possible threat of a leadership challenge, which might have persisted if he'd been left as a loose cannon on the back benches.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Gove. He hasn't been mentioned so far.
    thinking a little more about BoJo, I don't think May is his biggest fan..
    there could be an element of keeping him close to keep him under control

plus, despite his buffoon exterior I think he actually is a pretty switched on fella..
    now he'll have the opportunity to prove it on a bigger stage..
    edited July 2016
    Re: Boris appointed as  Foreign Secretary -

At least Boris won't be able to mess up any domestic matters.

Foreign Secretary is rather overrated anyway, imo.  Unlike most ministerial posts, they don't have any day-to-day executive matters to attend to or executive power to exercise.    They only have something important to do if something major internationally kicks off, and evem then they're only the mouth piece of the PM; other than that they just need to be diplomats.

I thought Boris might have been offered Culture & Sport.  

over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    Mrs Stoo was just watching an interesting documentary about politics and the current situation.

It's called 'Yes Minister'.

There's a follow up too, called 'Yes Prime Minister'
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    With Boris I really do get the feeling that he cultivates a deliberately buffoon-esque public image because he's very media savvy. I also get the feeling that if you met him to get actual work done, say as a foreign diplomat etc, as soon as you'd done the handshakes from the cameras and go into a private office he'd transform into someone quite different.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27040
    Cirrus said:
    With Boris I really do get the feeling that he cultivates a deliberately buffoon-esque public image because he's very media savvy. I also get the feeling that if you met him to get actual work done, say as a foreign diplomat etc, as soon as you'd done the handshakes from the cameras and go into a private office he'd transform into someone quite different.
    I honestly can't see how he's going to be able to keep up the public persona now that he has a real job, as it were. If he does, he's going to find it extremely difficult to get any of his foreign counterparts to trust him enough for him to be able to do his job at all.
    <space for hire>
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27040
    Gove's gone, then. Can't see many people crying about that one.
    <space for hire>
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    edited July 2016
    I honestly can't see how he's going to be able to keep up the public persona now that he has a real job, as it were. If he does, he's going to find it extremely difficult to get any of his foreign counterparts to trust him enough for him to be able to do his job at all.
    I guess it depends. I suppose if you subscribe to the idea that we're all plebs, it might be that most of the people he actually does business with from now on will understand the act is just that. Maybe some will laugh about it, and some will engage in the pageant with mock outrage so the chattering classes have something to titter about.

I'm not sure I DO totally believe in that notion, but still...
    'Am really surprised that Hunt is staying on in Health.  It would have been very expedient to have moved or sacked him.

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Ro_S said:
    'Am really surprised that Hunt is staying on in Health.  It would have been very expedient to have moved or sacked him.
    But as wise @siremoon said "He needs to sort this junior doctor mess out having started it and if he doesn't then May can say it wasn't of her doing.  If she put someone new there and it didn't get sorted then she is tarred with it."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2016
    Chalky said:
    Ro_S said:
    But as wise @siremoon said "He needs to sort this junior doctor mess out having started it and if he doesn't then May can say it wasn't of her doing.  If she put someone new there and it didn't get sorted then she is tarred with it."
    I hope that May has told Hunt in no uncertain that he must swallow his pride and resolve the junior doctors thing asap, as a condition of him staying on.

If someone is being set up to fail, I feel it's more like Boris's new situation.  'Seems like a diplomatic cock-up in the making.

edited July 2016
    Leadsome about to get something.   Chief Secr to Treasury, or Business maybe ?

EDIT:   Oh, she got DEFRA.  Oh dear. LOL.