External Doors

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 5040
Not a subject that I had expected to be writing about but my sister-in-law got new external doors installed recently.  She specified that they open outwards instead of the usual inwards.

Great idea.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2100
    Why ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6942
    Has she had her back door kicked in before?
    Previously known as stevebrum
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • so lets just hope no one blocks the door and sets fire to the house.. or if there is an emergency and the fire brigade/police need to big red key the door.. and has she put a sign up to callers 'please knock and take one step to the right'
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29209
    And good luck in the zombie apocalypse. How are you going to blockade a door that opens outwards?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    I like it. As a jolly jape you can break your visitors nose as they will be standing too close.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73149
    Rocker said:
    Not a subject that I had expected to be writing about but my sister-in-law got new external doors installed recently.  She specified that they open outwards instead of the usual inwards.
    Just wondering - why?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• nanomannanoman Frets: 62
    We've just had ours done and got the back door opening outwards. Just gets in the way of other things in the utility where it's situated and opening in. Easier to let the dog out as well.

Doing it with the front seems a bit of a faff though. They did try and tell us we couldn't have a Stormguard sill on an outwards opening door but relented when we showed them the full page of options on the website.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5040
    @nanoman answered all the questions perfectly.  It is amazing how much interior space an inward opening door actually needs.  And as for breaking into the house in the event of an emergency, would any door prevent such action.  I hardly think so.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 634
    Traditionally front doors always open in and back doors open out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    My back door opens outwards, but it's on stairs.
    My V key is broken
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    @holnrew I thought your back door was always open
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    I thought your front door had to open in for fire regulations. Pretty surprised you can have it any other way.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2523
    If you live somewhere windy you'll soon realise why front doors don't open outwards.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14012
    I get it she lives in a Caravan!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Our front and back doors open outwards but to be honest I'd never really noticed until I read this thread.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• ewalewal Frets: 2661
    I noticed when watching Swedish TV programmes that their doors opened outwards. I thought it looked really strange. Apparently it's got something to do with Swedish Building Standards and emergency exits being required to open that way. Didn't know that such doors existed over here.