Sockets and spanners and other motorcycle related tools. Recommendations?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• gjonesygjonesy Frets: 147
    not meaning to plug Halfords but they appear to still have 50% off on some of the "advanced" socket sets
    might be worth a look 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • keithfkeithf Frets: 372

As above, just get a load of the decent Halfords stuff, professional if you can afford it, lifetime warranty on it !.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think the maxim " buy the very best you can afford" is well worth repeating...rarely do good tools let you down. If you're "on the tools" for a living , it simply makes sense to invest in gear that is fit for purpose, and will last.  I've had the same Estwing since I was 17...cost a bloody fortune...I'm now 53, the hammer is in better bloody shape than I am. Lifetime warranties start to take on real meaning when you realise that they have lasted a working lifetime. 

• MtBMtB Frets: 922
    I'd go careful on the type of torque wrench you buy. Do a survey of the web first to see if you can find out which makes / models are the most accurate. From a long time ago in the aerospace industry the torque wrenches we used were woefully inaccurate - to the point that we had to set them against a calibrated meter before using them.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I've broken Silverline and Draper spanners in the past, the silerline shattered, literally. I've got (and use) Sealey spanners which don't cost the earth and are decent quality. I have a few Halfords spanners, they're good quality. I have a dislike of Helfrauds as their stuff, not necessarily tools -I haven't bought any for years - tend to be expensive. You'll only need inpact sockets if/when you use air guns, or the new style electric variants. As ESBlonde said, the flat 6-sided sockets are best. I have both types, both have their uses, if I only had one, they'd be the flat sided ones, especially in the larger sizes. Some socket sets have very poor ratchets (mine are Snap-on), so a set on nice ratchets will pay dividends later. Snap-on are fantastic, but, unless you're using them professionally they're not worth the extra dollar.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    I use Teng Tools - used them in restoring 3 Lambrettas over the past 18 years and the set I have is still going strong.

I've also got some Halfords Pro stuff which is pretty good.
    We are all Chameleons...
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2523
    I've a Draper socket set which is decent enough but Sealey is better IMO (which is what we used in the mechanics shop I worked on as a teenager)
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5207
    Halfords stuff is really good, also try B&Q for Mcallister sockets as they have been on special recently..
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    Halfords stuff seems a bit overpriced to be honest.
    Is bahco any good?
    Bahco S106 S106 Socket Set 106-Piece 1/4 & 1/2-Inch Drive https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000Y8OFI6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_v5vHxbYPT8SCT

I will have a look at some sealey stuff.

Anything besides halfords and teng that have a lifetime warranty?
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
    Sealey and Snap-on have a lifetime warranty. Most will give a good warranty these days. Bahco is reasonable, but the set you showed seems V.expensive. I have a similar Sealey (no set at work, no 1/4") which is a load cheaper. I've got a roll of Sealey Spanners for £10 + VAT, and DeWalt socket sets (1/2, or 3/8" & 1/4") at £45 +VAT each.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

mike_l said:
    Sealey and Snap-on have a lifetime warranty. Most will give a good warranty these days. Bahco is reasonable, but the set you showed seems V.expensive. I have a similar Sealey (no set at work, no 1/4") which is a load cheaper. I've got a roll of Sealey Spanners for £10 + VAT, and DeWalt socket sets (1/2, or 3/8" & 1/4") at £45 +VAT each.
    The bahco stuff from what I have heard is better quality than the halfords stuff, and also has hex sockets not the 12 sided ones, so less likely to round off stuff. The ratchet is a lot better as well apparently. And it is metric only, the halfords stuff has a load of imperial tools that are simply wasting weight and money.

I like the look of sealey, I am thinking of making my own tool kit with a mix of Bahco, Sealey, and the silverline for the stuff that doesn't go under as much stress/I can't justify the extra expense
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
    Seriously, I wouldn't get silverline.

• SporkySporky Frets: 29210
    I have a few Bahco bits and bobs, and it is all solid stuff.

The Teng and Snap-on stuff I've encountered has been excellent too (apart from one Snap-on tape measure which was hilariously inaccurate).
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    mike_l said:
    Seriously, I wouldn't get silverline.

Fair enough, interestingly it has a lifetime warranty on non powered hand tools