Trying to connect bluetooth speaker to laptop- AAAAARRRRGH!

What's Hot

I hate computers!

I've got a Bolse SZ-801 speaker and it shows up in the bluetooth devices window on my laptop (windows 7) but there's no option to connect when I right click on it. The speaker is Bluetooth 3 and the laptop supports Bluetooth 4, my iPhone connects to both without problems so why won't it work?!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    edited July 2016
    Windows 7 and Bluetooth can be troublesome and a PITA. It's possibly a driver issue - first thing to do is to check the manufacturer's website for the latest driver and not rely on the automatically installed Windows one. 

EDIT: the laptop manufacturer's website that is. 
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427
    LOL- been there ( also haven't) done that.
  • jaytmon said:
    Windows 7 and Bluetooth can be troublesome and a PITA. It's possibly a driver issue - first thing to do is to check the manufacturer's website for the latest driver and not rely on the automatically installed Windows one. 

EDIT: the laptop manufacturer's website that is. 

No drivers available on their website so I've emailed their support. Probably better off buying a longer aux lead!

Probably better off buying a longer aux lead!

I had a Bose bt speaker I used with my laptop for a while, but it screwed with the Internet connection - think the hardware was shared - so I now use an aux lead! Saves a lot of headaches. Speaker of course works fine with phone. 
    What make/model is the laptop?
  • It's an HP Probook 6470b. I should point out that Bolse isn't a typo either! :D
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I've given up trying to use my Bluetooth Bose headphones with my windows laptop.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Right click on the speaker in the taskbar, it should show up in the devices. Right click it, then click connect. Might need to do that last step twice.
    My V key is broken
  • It doesn't show up in playback devices either. It's like the laptop can see it, it's installed the drivers but won't actually pair/connect to it.
    It's an HP Probook 6470b. I should point out that Bolse isn't a typo either! :D
    Haha I did google it to make sure ;)

I set set up a JBL Bluetooth speaker on a probook 6470 in my previous job. It was a driver issue and took forever to find the right driver... If I get a chance later when I'm home I'll see if I can recall what I did. I'll be back!
    edited July 2016
    Ok, try this one:

Broadcom Bluetooth

This is for the Broadcom Bluetooth driver for 32 and 64-bit Windows 7. Bear in mind that your Probook *may* not have this particular card in, but it's in the list for the 6470b. I have a suspicion that I may have got BT drivers from elsewhere, but try these first. 

It might be worth uninstalling your (internal) bluetooth device from Device Manager before installing one of these drivers. Or you may have to manually update the driver after installing from download. Worth checking the version number of the currently installed driver to check it is actually different! If none of this makes much sense, just download and run the driver installation packages, reboot laptop and cross your fingers...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24725
    I gave up with bluetooth and Windows long ago.  By the way, how do you pronounce 'Bose' ?  Bo-zay ?  Bow-se ? Shee-ite ?
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jaytmon said:
    Ok, try this one:

Broadcom Bluetooth

This is for the Broadcom Bluetooth driver for 32 and 64-bit Windows 7. Bear in mind that your Probook *may* not have this particular card in, but it's in the list for the 6470b. I have a suspicion that I may have got BT drivers from elsewhere, but try these first. 

It might be worth uninstalling your (internal) bluetooth device from Device Manager before installing one of these drivers. Or you may have to manually update the driver after installing from download. Worth checking the version number of the currently installed driver to check it is actually different! If none of this makes much sense, just download and run the driver installation packages, reboot laptop and cross your fingers...
    It worked!! Cheers dude! :D
    jaytmon said:
    Ok, try this one:

Broadcom Bluetooth

It worked!! Cheers dude! :D
    Happy days! Glad to have been of assistance :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom