MiG-29 on the edge of space.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited July 2016
    Unfortunately I gave away my aeroplane books to various kids years ago so can't quote. But the F4 zoom had rather more preparation on the prototype F4 than just fly it fast and pull up.  Those early F4 were real Mach 2.5 aircraft, recording over 1700mph. 45 degree entry angle to make it a ballistic curve. The F15 was a modified aircraft too IIRC with lots of stuff removed, even half its control actuators- its wing loading is low for a fighter even at its normal weight.

You say "the engines might flame out and require re-starting, but that's a by-the-by." But I'm not sure the pilot would agree with that. True the Mig29 is spin resistant but then so was the F14 - but if it DID spin then the only option was eject, just like the F4.  With the engines flamed out I'm not sure what powers the hydraulics in a Mig29 but I wouldn't like to find out the hard way. Nice to be reminded of playground conversations from 50 years ago :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8503
    Chalky said:

You say "the engines might flame out and require re-starting, but that's a by-the-by." But I'm not sure the pilot would agree with that. 
    That was tongue in cheek. I actually posted a tongue sticky-outy-smiley immediately after it, but I hadn't noticed the smileys aren't working just now. And as we all know, in internet communication that's a terrible thing.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Cirrus said:
    Chalky said:

You say "the engines might flame out and require re-starting, but that's a by-the-by." But I'm not sure the pilot would agree with that. 
    That was tongue in cheek. I actually posted a tongue sticky-outy-smiley immediately after it, but I hadn't noticed the smileys aren't working just now. And as we all know, in internet communication that's a terrible thing.
    I just lost half of what I typed when I clicked Post Comment so I know what you mean!