Tablet advice please

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited July 2016
    Apple always win for me due to the music and photo production/editing apps.. anything else I don't care what OS the tablet is.
    While iOS has a tonne of good shit you can get bitwig on microsoft surface and thats great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbot said:
    Apple always win for me due to the music and photo production/editing apps.. anything else I don't care what OS the tablet is.
    While iOS has a tonne of good shit you can get bitwig on microsoft surface and thats great.

latest Surface Pro is a great tab fer sure...

I need my Korg iKaossilator and Yamaha TNR-i though.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I have a Google Pixel C and love it to bits. I can do what I want without having to battle the Apple IOS.
    That aid for music stuff, and in particular H9 pedals I have an old iPad I keep around.
    Although it pains me to say it for what you want I think an iPad would be the best bet.
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 642
    edited July 2016
    I've had a cheap Android tablet for a few months now, and to be honest I hate it and so far it's been nothing but trouble and a better advert for iOS than anything Apple could come up with. Keyboard randomly disappears in the middle of typing... Keyboard randomly appears and blocks half the screen when I'm not trying to type... It "forgets" it's connected to wifi every time it goes to sleep and I have to turn wifi off and on again to reset it... Constant spurious notifications about connecting to audio devices that don't exist... Randomly enters "fastboot mode" and has to be reset... I'm guessing quite a lot of this is being caused by various apps that come pre-installed rather than being a fault in Android itself, but I'm having a hell of a time trying to track down which ones.
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 642
    Lol, also doesn't allow me to format my posts on this forum...
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7792
    edited July 2016
    I was a dyed-in-the-wool PC/windows user and was better disposed toward the Android approach (which doesn't deliberately make downloading files and suchlike hard) - but having used both Android and Apple tablets a while back was shocked how much I preferred the Apple approach. It's one of the few comparisons where I'd be tempted to say it's "better" as opposed to I liked it more. 

Plus all the quality apps exist on iOS, and there aren't always Android versions or equivalents of the same quality. 

Unless you have some very specific usage needs that the Android OS caters better for (doesn't sound like it) or you flatly can't afford an iPad (you've not said so) I'd go for the iPad - and probably stay on one system as all your app purchases stay with you.

For me that started years ago, back when I was a vociferous Apple-Fanboi-critic, and now I am that fanboi lol (went Mac for home and work computers too last year)
    Red ones are better. 
    oh and downloading files, even youtube videos, to an iOS device is simple these days through various apps (I use Documents 5) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11462
    I've got a Lenovo android tablet, it succeeded an Archos one. Both cost me under a ton.

If you want a tablet for all-round general purpose use it's great. I don't want it to do thngs that a PC would be better at.

It has a USB port which can accept a mouse. It has a micro SD slot which can accommodate cards with loads of different things on them, so I can have films, music, books, whatever on different cards.

On my travels it's perfect for when space is limited or security may be an issue.

If you buy a cheap android tablet you get a cheap android tablet. I made the mistake of buying a really cheap one ages ago, it wasn't so much touch-screen as punch-screen. My Lenovo costs a fraction of what an ipad would cost, and is great value for money.
    scrumhalf said:
    I don't want it to do thngs that a PC would be better at.

It has a USB port which can accept a mouse. 
    <cough> 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4720
    Mybobblehat said:
    Has any tried the Lynx Windows Tablet?

I'm getting surface pro from work in a couple of months but was thinking of getting one of these as cheap stop gap.
    Only need it for email, excel and showing a few powerpoint slide shows so performance shouldn't be an issue.

my son has the Lynx tablet.
    the biggest issue even after adding 128GB is the internal drive is so small it can't handle updates an you can't push those to use the SD card as temporary storage
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4720
    The one area where MS have really failed is PC and tablet integration.
    Apple have gotten it right and if you go down the Google route it works well.
    Alas I have an iPhone for work, an android phone an iPad and use both PC (Windows 7 work, 10 at home) and also boot my PC into macOS.

it's a right pain trying to keep all in sync.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3395
    If you do get an iPad you can use any Bluetooth keyboard and mouse with it too. I happen to have a Mac so I can take the iPad, keyboard with me on the go paired to my phone for a network connection and using office 365 can edit and author my docs on the go and pick the. Up at home on the Mac or at work on the pc
  • Thanks for all the info.

One last question... is it worth the extra cash going for 256Mb instead of 128Mb?

Thanks

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 622
    Having had a variety of tablets, I'd have to recommend the ipad. It just seems easier to use than the others and everything just works. Battery life is good too. There's also a great DJ app called Djay which I use on mine and it works like a charm - dead easy for a numpty like me to use. 
    As for storage, I'd go for the most you can afford but would be guided by the size of your music library.
  • TroyTroy Frets: 224

Thanks for all the info.

One last question... is it worth the extra cash going for 256Mb instead of 128Mb?

Thanks

Guess that depends what you will store on it.