Nintendo

What's Hot
quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
Played one back in the day but we could never afford a console. So this looks appealing :)
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/technology/nintendos-classic-mini-is-a-tiny-nes-with-30-games/ar-BBukRb1?li=BBiaL6p&ocid=spartanntp
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That looks pretty cool. You can buy a pre-loaded raspberry pi 3 game emulator with 8000+ games built in from NES, MEGADRIVE,SNES, etc....and all the arcade games you can think of. They even come with replica Snes or Nes controllers. Ive seen them for about £85-£100 on ebay.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24897
    I bet it will be £99 here.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27862
    edited July 2016
    Great idea, and Sega do a similar Mega Drive one for about £50, so I assume it'll be about the same.

Though if I'm honest I'm waiting for Nintendo to do a proper controller for Apple devices and release everything through the App store. I wonder if their next "NX" thing may have an element of that. 

Till then I'm happy with Super Mario World on the Wii U. Still awesome after 25 years.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2493
    That looks pretty cool. You can buy a pre-loaded raspberry pi 3 game emulator with 8000+ games built in from NES, MEGADRIVE,SNES, etc....and all the arcade games you can think of. They even come with replica Snes or Nes controllers. Ive seen them for about £85-£100 on ebay.
    Better still build your own :)

You can get USB NES controllers cheap and they plug straight in. Whole lot came to about £120 and a few hours messing.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8162
    Technology has moved on. Get a PS4. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Great idea, and Sega do a similar Mega Drive one for about £50, so I assume it'll be about the same.
    this was a wondering I posed on another forum, because if it is licensed by Nintendo and manufactured by AtGames its going to be shit emultation like the Mega Drive ones..

I will stick to my modded to the nines Xbox Original with CoinOps arcade and every old home console you could ever need
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TroyTroy Frets: 224
    Check out MAME
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2954
    Just download an Emulator and a bunch of ROMs for nothing? Admittedly it isn't nearly as cool as that tiny NES :)
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Isn't selling and buying Roms not in cartridge form piracy? Would 8000 games not be 8000 chargeable instances of piracy? Each liable for a fine and possibly prison time? Were those 8000 games any good? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Myranda said:
    Isn't selling and buying Roms not in cartridge form piracy? Would 8000 games not be 8000 chargeable instances of piracy? Each liable for a fine and possibly prison time? Were those 8000 games any good? 

That's actually interesting... Is selling ROMs of games that are no longer being made considered piracy? I suppose their publishers/devs/Nintendo still own some kind of right to them.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29210
    There's a non-legal concept of abandonware, but in order for it to be legal (as I understand it) the copyright holder has to relinquish the copyright. Otherwise it is indeed piracy, though not in the same sense as selling knock-off blu-rays at a car boot sale.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24897
    Bidley said:
    Myranda said:

That's actually interesting... Is selling ROMs of games that are no longer being made considered piracy? I suppose their publishers/devs/Nintendo still own some kind of right to them.
    Ownership doesn't end just because you can't buy a new one in a shop!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Bidley said:
    Myranda said:

I know some games are available freely - Duke nukem 3D is one. Doom has also been open source for a long time. 

It would be a shame if some of these old but excellent games can no longer be played/purchased because of a legal issue - so Nintendo doing stuff like this is really good. Provided it doesn't cost a lot (it's probably not especially difficult to do). 
    Bidley said:
    Myranda said:

Yeah I got that with the second part of my post :) I was thinking purely from the standpoint of "well it's not making Nintendo any money now, so nobody's losing out".

Although I realise that is over-simplified and I'm just babbling every tiny thought that pops into my head...
    Bidley said:

I'm just babbling every tiny thought that pops into my head...
    Sounds like you've got the hang of this inferweb lark. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    Bidley said:

I'm just babbling every tiny thought that pops into my head...
    Sounds like you've got the hang of this inferweb lark. :)

So do you like bread?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I like the bread Lady BMcH bakes.

Though it has made shop-bread seem pretty poor.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Great idea, and Sega do a similar Mega Drive one for about £50, so I assume it'll be about the same.

Good assumption! They're here for £49.95 pre-order: http://www.thegamecollection.net/nintendo-classic-mini-nes.html?tduid=43b0e44f6ca8efcd65dac28f86c0d590

Releasing just in time for Christmas, I think these will sell pretty well for nostalgia value
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • Myranda said:
    Isn't selling and buying Roms not in cartridge form piracy? Would 8000 games not be 8000 chargeable instances of piracy? Each liable for a fine and possibly prison time?
    Yes.