Good spray-paints

What's Hot
Evening all.

I would be most grateful for a recommendation for some good spray paints. I need black, white and yellow, good strong colours that'll work nicely on laser-cut MDF. Preferably quite drip-resistant.
"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    I've been using these promatic spray paint on my pedals recently.  Well priced and they dry very quickly

http://refinishsystems.com/products/aerosols/trade-sprays/promatic-trade-aerosol-range-500ml
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29220
    No yellow though.

Yellow is critical to the success of the scheme.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    They'll mix up any colour yellow you like as long as it's a car colour.  They have a section somewhere on the site where you can input car models and colours.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7141
    edited July 2016 tFB Trader
    I use MDF for sample panels and find it really drinks paint. It takes about four coats of primer, each one sanded back, before the surface is suitable for color coats.

Once you have a nice smooth substrate your colour layers can be quite thin. As with all paint jobs, the key is preparation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Adam_MD said:
    They'll mix up any colour yellow you like as long as it's a car colour.  They have a section somewhere on the site where you can input car models and colours.
    Ah! Thanks, I missed that bit.

Mr Robinson; duly noted, thank you.
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1105
    Ive use the Canbrush range for a few guitar refinishes,and always found then to be very good,there yellow is a really nice bight taxi cab yellow,my local handy store does almost all there range at £3 for solid colours & £4/5 for candys and pearls
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    Plastikote do excellent aerosol paint in a huge range of texrures/colours,  I've used a few around the house over the years and been very impressed with the results. 
    Wilkinsons have stopped stocking them in favour of Rustoleum cans and their own brand,  I've used neither. 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    I have stained and laquered MDF before and as Steve says, it will just drink it up. First coat a thinned primer, let it dry well. Then build up the layers with more primer.  If you have any edging to coat, use wire wool rather than sand it back. Eventually you can get quite a nice finish but it is loads of work.
    I ended up finding some vouchers left over for Cass Art, so have three cans of this stuff - it's utterly unlike the Halfords cans I'd used for pedals before. Very low pressure, very little solvent, darned near impossible to make it run. Really good coverage too - a single coat has not only covered the MDF but even the white has covered the laser burnt edges.

Once I've finished the paint job I'll post some photos. Still got to work out some of the mounting details.

https://d16wp86s16nsnf.cloudfront.net/cassart/product/3c1b04a5.P00158.jpg/2000x2000.fit.P00158.jpg
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    @Sporky I'd be interested in seeing some results of these, as I can get to a Cass no problem.
    Will do. So far really impressed, just took some getting used to after the crap from Halfords.

Really good coverage, no drips.

I'm making a bumblebee...
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I've used some of those Montana cans on a few pedal enclosures and was very impressed. It might be worth getting a few extra nozzles, as they can clog very easily.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    I finished spraying the bumblebee at the weekend. I wasn't that concerned about how neat a job it was but the Montanas were very easy to use - once I got used to the much shorter "projection". It'd be interesting to try them on pedal enclosures.