Floor paint for garage floor - do I need to use self-levelling compound first?

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
the  external detached garage was built in the late 80s
the floor looks like dimpled concrete. I'm no expert in the technical name for it
Can I just floor paint onto it?
It's just for use as a workshop and gym
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3531
    Is it powdery / dusty? If so you probably need a sealer coat or two before the floor paint. You'd only need a leveller if you want it...errr...level :)
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    you mean watered-down PVA?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28453
    We did ours with sealant and then "proper" paint.

It didn't last very long, and it you're going to be using it as a gym/workshop, that suggests a lot of foot traffic which will also wear it pretty quickly.

Rubber matting over an underlay?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Given how often the gym memberships were used before I cancelled them , I am not sure about lots of traffic
    And workshop is probably a euphemism for junk storage

But yes, any tips  on rubber mats please

"proper" paint? what do you  mean?
    I used floor paint in the first house's cellar, and it never wore out.  They used it in big manufacturing workshops I've worked in too, and it seemed to last

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    edited July 2016
    Rubberised paint is handy as a damp-proofing, but if it's a normal garage with the doors etc being opened regularly, I'd just use Wickes floor paint and lots of it ;)
    I've had  patio doors put on in place of the old garage door
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9130
    How flat is the surface, and how smooth do you want it to be? Only you can answer that. Levelling compound is really for floors which are not level, as opposed to not smooth, but it does produce a smooth finish. 

Only yesterday I was researching this for my own work shop. What I learned is: The surface will need cleaning to remove any dust and oil. There are sealing compounds which you might wish to apply to help the paint adhere. You'll also need several layers of paint to build a finish that won't wear off too quickly.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    I'd skim it with self levelling cement first to get a smooth surface. Once that's completely dry, seal it with dilute PVA, then a couple of coats of rubberised floor paint to finish.

Personally I don't rate Wickes own brand paint that much, the last lot I got from them was terrible (although it was gloss rather than floor paint) It was really thin, almost like nail varnish rather than paint, and took four coats to cover where I'd normally use two.