Cross Country Wrestling.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11462
    4 x marathon
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 769
    edited July 2016
    Sack off, Golf, Tennis and men's Football and bring back Squash & Karate. Also, I agree with @Axisus get rid of Basketball.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    long distance heavy weight flange diving
    play every note as if it were your first
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11462
    Sack off, Golf, Tennis and men's Football and bring back Squash & Karate. Also, I agree with @Axisus get rid of Basketball.
    Combine them for one excellent sport.

Maybe we need to combine more sports to fit them all in.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3135
    edited July 2016
    Replace golf with kabaddi, that's fun to watch

Replace tennis with Buzkashi (that Afghan one where they charge around on horses flinging a decapitated goat around. Mental)
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2924
    Scrap that horseshit dressage bullshit. Total crap. Poor horses. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7836
    Myranda said:
    What shouldn't be in? Anything where there's a pro-tournament considered higher profile than the Olympics - including football 

About sums it up for me, I don't see why they feel the need to include sports that already have massive competitions, I like that minority sports get some recognition and I'd much rather see squash over tennis , football or golf.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11548
    Would agree that tennis, football and golf are a waste of space.

They could get rid of the "walk" as well.

I think the Rugby Sevens is a good addition.  Sevens doesn't have anything like the World Cup that the 15 a side game has and it will get more countries playing Rugby.

I'm with various others in that I don't like the sports that need "judging".  You want something with simple and clear rules - faster, higher, longer, more points, more goals etc.  I'd quite happily lose most of the gymnastics, the diving, dressage, synchronised swimming etc.

There's the old joke about synchonised swimming:  if one of them drowns do all the others have to drown as well?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Although it does have judging, I do think that Gymnastics is a valid entry. They are people in amazing condition, doing a sport for which the olympics is the pinnacle. I think that it is one of the blue ribbon Olympics sports to be honest. You could lose the bit where they are tossing a ball in the air or running around with ribbons though ....
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11548
    axisus said:
    Although it does have judging, I do think that Gymnastics is a valid entry. They are people in amazing condition, doing a sport for which the olympics is the pinnacle. I think that it is one of the blue ribbon Olympics sports to be honest. You could lose the bit where they are tossing a ball in the air or running around with ribbons though ....
    I'll give you the mens gymnastics but they should make the women's like the mens.  Lose the music for the floor and stop marking them on how artistic it is.
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    I've thought for years that you could really successfully combine Pole-Vaulting and Diving...
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1772
    Having Looked at the current list of sports there's definatley some on there which really shouldn't be in there. I'm thinking they should re-introduce some sports such as Basque Pelota or Roque.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1772
    The 200M Swimming Obstacle Race also looks like it could be fun Especially as Britain won gold and bronze at the 1900 olympics
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    I'd quite like the Olympics to merge with it's a Knockout. I'm sure we'd all like to see the runners with those giant floppy character costumes on.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16466
    As I understand it a lot of the traditional Olympic sports got in there because they were useful skills in the military. So,  anything on a big horse (hence dressage) , stuff with guns. Things like the decathlon were lifted from military tests. 

Not sure what the issue is with basketball when only a few countries have serious pro leagues.  Yes,  football seems utterly pointless at the Olympics.  

I'd be up for the return of bare knuckle boxing,  Cumberland wrestling and putting ferrets down trousers. Sports the UK would do well at. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    blueskunk said:
    Scrap that horseshit dressage bullshit. Total crap. Poor horses. 

The horses aren't treated badly in that though, it's shit to watch but I don't feel bad on the horses, it's not the Grand National.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1