Pickup Swop on an Epiphone ES339

I have had my ES339 for a while now but I hardly ever use it.I get it out of its case play it for a while realise I still don't likeit and put it away again.

So the question is could I swop the pickups for something else and if so what.

I was going to get a Gretsch Electromatic but the lower bout is so big its not comfortable which is why I got the ES339.

So what about swopping the pickups for some Gretsch or TV Jones would that improve the sound or am I wasting my time.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27854
    Is it jut the electric kind you're not liking, or something more fundamental with the guitar?

A pickup swap would certainly help if you just want it to sound different. TV Jones make versions of almost all their pickups to fit a regular humbucker route, or ask Oil City for some Cow-T-rons.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • asimmdasimmd Frets: 115

I love the guitar it plays nice looks good but it sounds terrible.Problem is I have never swopped pickups in a semi before and the electrics are mounted on a circuit board.

Ordinarily I could just swop out the pickups cut the wires at the pickup end and resolder the wires but with all the circuitry

in the guitar I don't know if that would work.

It would probably need complete electrics along with the pickups.

• I have the Epi ES339 with P90s. Swapped the neck pickup for an Oil City P90 and it sounds awesome. There's no circuit board, just take your time and tie string round all the pots!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27854
    Is yours one of the ones that also has a piezo-blend thing for acoustic tones? That would explain the circuit board I think. 

In that case cutting the pickup leads and soldering direct to those would be a reasonable option, and should work just fine.  

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • nah it's just got two P90s