Sport -v- Game

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    It's an odd one, much like my wife's instrument boxes contain things like a hammer, pliers, grips, file etc, my tool box has a hammer, pliers, grips a file etc... she goes to her practice, I go to my work...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    edited July 2016
    Grunfeld said:
    Chess seem borderline.  It has elements which seem characteristic of sport:
    -- like sport, at élite level you have to train for it; practice alone is not sufficient.
    -- there is no element of chance in it; it's all skill.  Whereas games often include chance and randomness to add interest.

But....
    It looks like a game because of the lack of physical activity.

If physical activity and mental activity were seen as equal then chess seems to be a sport.  If sweat and a jock strap and a Welsh PE master are necessary then chess probably doesn't cut it.

Does being the Whites not massively increase your chances of winning in Chess? 

Edit: since 1851 it (amongst elite players) has between 52-56% win rate apparently, so while not massive, certainly a decent advantage, how that plays against home/away football/rugby games I'm not sure.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    so what about full contact dominos? 
    play every note as if it were your first
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29222
    paul_c2 said:

Parachuting? Its obviously a physical skill (of some kind), but I'm not sure it meets the "betterment" criteria so its marginal. 
    Having done seven jumps back at Uni, I can confirm that betterment does occur.

It didn't to me - I fell out of the plane flailing like a fish out of water, but most of the people I jumped with got the hang of falling the right way up. Apparently it then hurts much less when the chute inflates.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    If you perspire purely from concentration or because it's hot out... Game. 

If you perspire because your running/jumping/lifting etc  to the limit of your ability... Sport (or you need to lose weight)