Home Security

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TroyTroy Frets: 224

Not particularly convinced domestic cctv has any value.  
    It deters the opportunist, of which most burglars/car crimes are.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    I haven't kept up to date with house burglary stuff but when I  was involved (professionally)  the notable thing about it as a crime was that it was usually committed by a relatively small number of individuals. One person could be in double figures in terms of houses in a week,  stop that person and you stop a significant amount of local crime. The exceptions tended to be were the victim was known to the perpetrator -  breaking into a flat in the same block for instance. 
    This means that burglars tend to be quite knowledgeable about what they are doing. Very little to suggest that dogs act as a deterent. More sophisticated burglars might target somewhere for the contents but ease of access is the bigger deciding factor than added deterents. 
    If your houses are in a block I'd guess that the rear of the properties is harder to access (or harder to get away from) than maybe other properties in the area. Alarms,  CCTV,  dogs,  iron railings, etc, etc, probably do act as a deterent on some level,  it may be the decision between one house and the next. But if someone is happy to put a paving slab through your kitchen window to nick your car keys that isn't someone with a lot of boundaries.  
    If they are big enough to throw a slab through my window they can have the keys by asking. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29223
    I haven't kept up to date with house burglary stuff but when I  was involved (professionally)  
    So you were the scumbag who stole my toaster in 1998!  :p
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16467
    Troy said:

Not particularly convinced domestic cctv has any value.  
    It deters the opportunist, of which most burglars/car crimes are.

Most domestic CCTV is low quality,  probably not on and can be defeated by a scarf.  Given that there are no or low cost things you can do that are more effective it wouldn't be my first choice in home security. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16467
    Sporky said:
    I haven't kept up to date with house burglary stuff but when I  was involved (professionally)  
    So you were the scumbag who stole my toaster in 1998!  :p

It is only browning on one side now,  do you have the warranty by any chance? 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6944
    edited July 2016
    I've heard it said a few times that a visible siren on the outside of a building can be enough to deter the opportunist.

If you haven't got an alarm system at all one of these could be an immediate cheap visual deterrent as would a dummy CCTV. Allowing you a bit of time to think about what you really want long term.

Also think about points of entry - are your locks on the doors and windows good quality? If not it's worth looking into upgrades or replacements.

We went for a wireless alarm last time - not a DIY shop job but proper category kit.

The control panel and siren box are hard wired but all the sensors are wireless - no issues with unsightly wires or upheaval of floorings and decor to hide any wiring.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I fitted the alarm system myself, it's all hard wired and runs 12v off the mains from the main controller, problem is there is no opportunity for zone 1 and zone 2 as the whole place is open plan with door window mags and pir sensors, so all those 'Sonic bombs' I fitted above all the doors and windows, as well as the main siren all go off if you don't make the control panel within 6 seconds and they is loud man and fairly disorienting unless you are deaf or have ear defenders on.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    Sambostar said:
    so all those 'Sonic bombs' I fitted above all the doors and windows, as well as the main siren all go off if you don't make the control panel within 6 seconds and they is loud man and fairly disorienting unless you are deaf or have ear defenders on.
    You must provide H&S approved ear defenders for the thieves or face prosecution for that once you've been fleeced.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    ESBlonde said:
    Sambostar said:
    so all those 'Sonic bombs' I fitted above all the doors and windows, as well as the main siren all go off if you don't make the control panel within 6 seconds and they is loud man and fairly disorienting unless you are deaf or have ear defenders on.
    You must provide H&S approved ear defenders for the thieves or face prosecution for that once you've been fleeced.
    Sad thing is that, that is probably closer to the truth than fiction.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Claymore on each of the doors and windows? Moat? Crocodiles in every room...