So ... should they have a female Dr Who next?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
Personally I think that Moffatt was dumb beyond comprehension with his moronic idea of Time lords changing sex, as well as them dropping dead only to spring up seconds later having changed. If there was a god of Whovians he would have burned Moff to a crisp with a thunderbolt many moons ago.

Having said that, the deed is done, and now, regrettably part of Who history.

My best pal at work is the most massive Dr Who fan ever, and rates the old original stuff as way better than any of the 'reinvention'. He would probably have a heart attack if they announced a woman, but surprisingly, I don't think I'm all that bothered.

I think that it could work well with the right actress. Personally I'd go for someone older, like Judy Dench. Rather than fret over male/female casting though, they should get a producer in who has a much higher standard of expectation with the scripts. The current episode form per season seems to be:

1 excellent
1 very good
1 almost excellent but they manage to shaft it
2 OK
4 poor
1 utterly dire

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8164
    Would need to be young actress. It's a young audience. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11548
    Not a good idea.

With the time travel element you get into the thing of going backwards/forwards in time and having the male and female versions meeting up and having a kid together.

By all means start a spin off with Romana or some other female Timelord but the main character should be male.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24908
    crunchman said:
    Not a good idea.

With the time travel element you get into the thing of going backwards/forwards in time and having the male and female versions meeting up and having a kid together.

By all means start a spin off with Romana or some other female Timelord but the main character should be male.
    I agree, but the genie is out of the bottle.

The Master is now the Mistress.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24908
    Mind you, Star Trek did the character staying the same but the sex changing quite well with the Trill storylines.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22615
    edited July 2016
    Gender changing had been discussed long before Moff. 

I'm old school Who all the way. Personally I couldn't care less about the modern stuff now in exactly the same way that The Force Awakens doesn't matter a shit to me. When I got into Who in the McCoy days, it fizzled off air not long after. I bought all the New Adventures, had my DWM subscription, went to the odd convention. Star Wars was similar in that there were no new filmed adventures, the books dominated, and colelctors were real geeks. I spent hours at toy fairs hunting for specific figures. In both cases, they were relaunched and revamped. The Phantom Menace was essentially a franchise relaunch just as Who was under RTD. The new fans came in and took it to their hearts and plenty of old fans were nonplussed. 

I'm more than happy to wallow in the memories of the old stuff. So as far as I'm concerned, they can regenerate Peter Capaldi into Katie Hopkins. 

As for whether they should... no. Fuck them. There's nothing wrong with having a bloke hero who is a bloke hero. 

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27165
    edited July 2016
    crunchman said:
    Not a good idea.

Isn't it reasonably well-established that Gallifreyans can't reproduce biologically? Pretty sure there were a few hints in the last few series that the Cartmel Masterplan was being treated as canon. That's what made The Doctor's Daughter actually reasonable, since they only reproduce via genetic manipulation.
    <space for hire>
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    Back when I caught the odd Dr Who episode 'he' seemed to re-emerge in the earths past quite frequently. Given that even now large parts of the world treat women as second class citizens it might make it hard to have a woman tell Charles Dickens or a 1960s British army general what to do in a convincing manner. I'm not saying that's a good thing but I remember when the female adult in Great Britain couldn't get HP or Credit without a male guarantor! Mind you historical accuracy is hardly the point of a fictional entertainment program.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • No! Unless....there was a bit of a twist, like she has 3 boobs or summat like that. Then that might be ok, At a push.
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

Teresa May as the doctor, Boris as the master and Gove as Davros, an education for the youngsters about the political elite and the shenanigans they get up to save / destroy mankind.

PS I was going to cast Corbyn, but he'd be utterly hopeless in any role, so didn't bother

ESchap said:

Teresa May as the doctor, Boris as the master and Gove as Davros, an education for the youngsters about the political elite and the shenanigans they get up to save / destroy mankind.

PS I was going to cast Corbyn, but he'd be utterly hopeless in any role, so didn't bother

I'd have Corbyn as the Master. You think he's an old geriatric git but he turns out to be a bit of a nasty git underneath. It'd be classic Pertwee era material, Corbyn pulls off his rubber mask to reveal the features of the great Roger Delgado underneath... 

Or he's a fucking Auton. Doctor Who versus The Auton Unions, featuring Len McCluskey as the Nestene Consciousness. 

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16090
    edited July 2016

female Dr Who in the Tardis  Tartis

"Right we're all off tae the 12th century....no, make it the 14th...no, wait a mo, make it the..."

tae be or not tae be
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I'm 50 and I've never watched an entire episode of Dr Who. Even to my 10 year old self the daleks were fucking stupid.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Its a gimmick. Gimmicks can work out very well for a one-off story, maybe a sequel or two. But for episodic story-telling it soon pales.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Problem is, there should be a female Dr Who if it's the right person.  My gut feeling would be because they are females, and it makes headlines and ticks the right boxes

Like the no all male panel shows etc...

So if it's the right person in the eyes of the creators, sure
    If it's for headlines and PC, fuck no

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34025
    Yes, but only to annoy masculinist types.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    No.
    Blake's 7 is better anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ennspek said:
    No.
    Imagine the PC version of Blakes 7. It'd literally feature an Avon lady. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Why stop at female?

Satisfy the PC leanings with a lesbian, pre op Trans-sexual, wheelchair-bound ethnic minority.
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003

ennspek said:
    No.
    Imagine the PC version of Blakes 7. It'd literally feature an Avon lady. 
    Ah, Blakes 7.  So much of my growing up featured this and HG2G