"High shelf filter" investment.

What's Hot
octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34024
edited July 2016 in Off Topic
LOL.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    Is a high shelf filter that plastic cover with an opaque strip in the middle on a girlie mag?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Personally think it's a shame it's being sold. A truly great UK technology company off to be swallowed up by a Japanese company 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    They were great back in the day, I didn't even k ow they were being  sold, great mobile processors of the day 
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    They were great back in the day, I didn't even k ow they were being  sold, great mobile processors of the day 
    ARM is in EVERYTHING. You might know them for tablets, phones etc but they're in washing machines, routers, frideges etc. Their business model is great in that they design the processors but license the manufacturing to others. With this cash investment and the commitment to keeping the head office in Cambridge this is probably good for ARM but not great for UK PLC.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1991
    edited July 2016
    I think it's a shame. I don't understand and why this sort of company has to sell out. Were they being starved of investment capital?
    I can recall an old mate of mine buying their shares back in 1997. Think he paid 28 pence for them. The current share price doesn't tell the whole story as there have been multiple share dilutions over the years. I think he ended up with 4 times as many shares the first time around. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17947
    tFB Trader
    I'm not sure what you mean by back in the day. 

You would be hard pushed to find any portable electronics that don't have an ARM in them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10635
    Classic MS business model, the monies in the code and licensing not the hardware. I don't know what they charge, probably pennies per IC but there must be more third party built RISC chips running architec and code licensed to ARM in portable gear then any other OEM 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I'm not sure what you mean by back in the day. 

You would be hard pushed to find any portable electronics that don't have an ARM in them.
    Indeed back in the day you'd be more likely to find some form of microcontroller where now an ARM microprocessor is used... ARM accounts for literally billions of current items in use... 
    Ooooohk I knew they are the processor of choice for linux etc  based household electronics,  I am talking specifically about their mobile processors, which were great...... Put your pitchforks away tgp! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10635
     I don't think they actually make any processes they only license the code and the architecture of the mask substrate ... the layout of the transistors et cetera 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1991
    Ooooohk I knew they are the processor of choice for linux etc  based household electronics,  I am talking specifically about their mobile processors, which were great...... Put your pitchforks away tgp! 
    They still are, pretty sure all of the top selling smartphones use ARM licensed technology in their processors. 
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4720
    And it all started with the Acorn Archimedes 
    And it all started with the Acorn Archimedes 

My dad used to sell them,  I remember him giving me a Vic 20, took me about 2 and a half hours to code it to make a sound like a helicopter :)