Flying Armbars are for idiots...

What's Hot
Or young people.  Kind of hard to tell the difference sometimes!

Video

https://youtu.be/dMO9PqXRg5s
PSN id : snakey33stoo
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    I tried this tonight and managed to land back first on my partners knee.  We both fell in pain and laughter saying never again.  The concerned look on the guys in charge faces were quite finny to see too.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4405
    So are helicopter arm bars.

My mate dropped me face first straight onto his knee and broke my nose.

He laughed, I bled!

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1906
    Ah, but what if:

- The ground was broken glass
    - He had ten mates with him
    - He had a knife in his other hand
    - He had a tactical nuke in his other hand
    - He had a detachable arm

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    Then I'd buy him a pint.

Or run as fast as I can.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1143
    i reckon the odds of a flying armbar or triangle actually working in real life are about 5,000,000 - 1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    If you watch this video of two "Ultimate Fighter" contestants being dickheads you can see the person applying the (non-flying) armbar at 2:45-ish getting his head pounded into the concrete as an effective counter. I always thought was an interesting lesson on the applicability of certain BJJ/judo techniques in "real life". :)

I agree about groundwork being unsuitable for 1 on 1 general scrapping, but it can be useful for the restraining of people without threatening their lives.  It's easier to live through a badly broken arm than a broken neck/crushed windpipe for example.

Still, it's good fun in the dojo watching some cocky newbie realise that just because he's watched a lot of MMA he knows pretty much nothing of actual fighting. (definitely not talking about me there. Nope. No way. Ahem)
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    If you watch this video of two "Ultimate Fighter" contestants being dickheads you can see the person applying the (non-flying) armbar at 2:45-ish getting his head pounded into the concrete as an effective counter. I always thought was an interesting lesson on the applicability of certain BJJ/judo techniques in "real life". :)

As with all (effective) techniques in all martial arts things are situational. There may be occasions where an arm bar (or other joint lock/choke) is the best option - fighting someone with no ground game but better striking than you, when one on one... But if they keep their cool and lift you up... You best pray there is some bouncey castle type floor below you. 

Even in real life pain submissions have their place. 
  • For sure some techniques are purely for in the dojo, and staying off the ground is DEFINITELY the best option... If you can. 

Carlson Gracie (of the famous Gracie BJJ family) said: "Punch a black belt in the face, he becomes a brown belt. Punch him again, purple..." 

Ive only used my own BJJ training once in "anger". It ended by RNC and I DID get punched, it DID hurt, but training took over. 

Id id rather know it and not need it than be ignorant and suffer the consequences. 

heres a real world example. 
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11617129/Female-kickboxer-knocks-out-sex-attacker-who-pounces-as-she-walks-home.html

Carlson Gracie (of the famous Gracie BJJ family) said: "Punch a black belt in the face, he becomes a brown belt. Punch him again, purple..." 

Like it! It reminds me of Mike Tyson's "everyone has a plan 'til they get punched in the mouth."

I have fortunately never been in the situation where I need to fight (I'm a good sprinter), but when I play-fight with friends they can throw in some nasty surprises because they don't know the "rules".

Anyway I quit Judo/JJ because my fingers were always too fucked up to play guitar, so I am just armchair-commentating here. :)