eBay advice needed

What's Hot
GulliverGulliver Frets: 852
So, I've sold an item on eBay - was posted on Friday, by some trackable Parcelforce method - sent the seller the tracking info.  He's come back today and opened a case with eBay for a refund, as it hasn't arrived yet - tracking on eBay doesn't show anything, yet on parcelforce's website it shows it is on the way.

It looks set to arrive after the estimated delivery time stated on eBay, but it's still going to arrive - does he have a case?  Last thing I want is this bloke receiving it and then eBay dicking me out of the money I got for it...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    No, he doesn't have a case but he sounds like trouble. Keep your wits about you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    Ebay will give period of time for it to arrive before doing anything I would expect.   I'd have thought the worst case is PayPal putting a hold on the funds until Ebay marks it as resolved so that might need a call if it drags on.    
    It will probably arrive shortly and then he won't be awkward about marking it resolved.   
  • jamiexsilverjamiexsilver Frets: 404
    So you sent the item on Friday and he's opened a case today, Monday?? What's he smoking? Surly some one with any sense wouldn't open a case so soon. get ready for the next thing 'it's faulty'.
    I've had loads of shitty experiences with eBay recently to the point I only use it to sell as a last resort.
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 852
    So you sent the item on Friday and he's opened a case today, Monday?? What's he smoking? Surly some one with any sense wouldn't open a case so soon. get ready for the next thing 'it's faulty'.
    I've had loads of shitty experiences with eBay recently to the point I only use it to sell as a last resort.

Listing has a photograph of it working, and the advert says no returns - I think I'm pretty covered on that one...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    No returns means nothing on eBay.  I have no idea why the option is even there.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jamiexsilverjamiexsilver Frets: 404
    Gulliver said:

Listing has a photograph of it working, and the advert says no returns - I think I'm pretty covered on that one...
    I sold a amp last year, it worked perfectly I put no returns on the listing I said I would be held responsible if anything happened in shipping, the guy got it and claimed it was faulty Ebay sided with the buyer and I had to stump up paying to get it shipped back to find it was absolutely fine, my guess is he wanted to try it before buying it.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17011
    Gulliver said:

Neither mean anything to ebay.

you could have a vid on the buyers doorstep with the days newspaper clearly visible and they still wouldn't care.

• Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1531
    It's always a bad sign when they open a case so quickly. It could be that it has arrived and parcelforce didnt get him to sign. So now he sees an opportunity to rip you off. 

My sister gets this a lot on ebay, she sells toiletries. Always obvious because they start the claim process within just a couple of days. Most decent folk wait a week or so before getting worried about stuff getting lost in the post. Common scam. Not much you can do unless you send everything recorded delivery. 

I know parcelforce are meant to get a signature but they dont always do it. 
    So, I as a buyer can buy something - then stamp my feet, demand a refund, leave negative feedback, open a case and there's nothing the seller can do about it except pay out the arse??

Jesus fucking christ...
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 610
    Gulliver said:
    So, I as a buyer can buy something - then stamp my feet, demand a refund, leave negative feedback, open a case and there's nothing the seller can do about it except pay out the arse??

Jesus fucking christ...
    Exactly that , you have almost no protection as a seller, and as for opening dispute that quick tells me there may be trouble ahead.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    edited July 2016
    I'm their defence I've found eBay to be very helpful when I've had a problem as a seller and rung them.   Twice they've agreed with me and sorted the issue.  
    If it looks like the buyer is playing games just give them a call. 
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1052
    Gulliver said:

Jesus fucking christ...

Yup - and worse they have 180 days to open the case with PayPal, which is ridiculous, what shop gives you 6 months to break something before returning it? But you as a private seller as supposed to warranty something for that term. With a valve amp that’s asking for trouble!

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Kill them.  This is intolerable.Someone must die and pay the price and the consequences whilst you disburden yours.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    It's always a bad sign when they open a case so quickly. It could be that it has arrived and parcelforce didnt get him to sign. So now he sees an opportunity to rip you off. 

My sister gets this a lot on ebay, she sells toiletries. Always obvious because they start the claim process within just a couple of days. Most decent folk wait a week or so before getting worried about stuff getting lost in the post. Common scam. Not much you can do unless you send everything recorded delivery. 

I know parcelforce are meant to get a signature but they dont always do it. 

If that occurs, you should be able to make a successful claim to parcelforce for a "lost" item - since the same evidence the scammer/buyer is using to claim it wasn't delivered, also supports it. I think (not sure) if a buyer opens a dispute and the transaction doesn't complete satisfactorily (ie it appears the courier lost it etc) then its not possible to leave feedback (since the feedback system is only for completed transactions).

It does seem here that the courier is at fault. Even if neg feedback is left, most future buyers would be forgiving if a note was left (you can respond to neg feedback I think?) that it was a courier fault or a scam, not a bad transaction.
    paul_c2 said:

I think (not sure) if a buyer opens a dispute and the transaction doesn't complete satisfactorily (ie it appears the courier lost it etc) then its not possible to leave feedback (since the feedback system is only for completed transactions).
    I wish that were true - I've been left negative feedback by this clown despite him not having had the parcel and it being tracked - once he'd left the negative feedback, he opened his case.  Reckon I'm going to end up losing out on this...
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22615
    Gulliver said:
    So, I've sold an item on eBay - was posted on Friday, by some trackable Parcelforce method - sent the seller the tracking info.  He's come back today and opened a case with eBay for a refund, as it hasn't arrived yet - tracking on eBay doesn't show anything, yet on parcelforce's website it shows it is on the way.

It looks set to arrive after the estimated delivery time stated on eBay, but it's still going to arrive - does he have a case?  Last thing I want is this bloke receiving it and then eBay dicking me out of the money I got for it...
    1. When did you sell the item?

2. Sent Friday by what Parcelforce method? Am presuming 48 hour as it's cheaper than 24. Did you upload the tracking information to eBay

3. The estimated delivery date - what was it? In future, remember that you have the power to set the estimated delivery date. It's there in the listing. I always give myself at least three business days to send and then stipulate it'll be two day delivery from then. Give yourself some wiggle room. No point setting up for next day delivery if you've got sod all chance of making that happen. 

4. If you have tracking to prove that he received it, then that would be good for your case as obviously an Item Not Received case would then look foolish as you had evidence to show he had received it. That he has left negative feedback is also most amusing as you can easily claim as a seller that he has left negative feedback far too early. 

5. Because he has filed an INR case so early, it would then be hard for him to file a case saying item is damaged. 

6. "No returns" - pretty much worthless now. 

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Somethings not right here as you can't open a not received case until after the alloted time span...... 
    UPDATE: Checked Parcelforce tracking, got proof of delivery, passed it to eBay who decided in my favour. Case closed - money released from PayPal. Thanks for all the advice!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6240
    tFB Trader
    Gulliver said:
    UPDATE: Checked Parcelforce tracking, got proof of delivery, passed it to eBay who decided in my favour. Case closed - money released from PayPal. Thanks for all the advice!
    Please make sure they get the negative feedback removed too. This was a vexatious claim from someone who should be more patient. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    ThorpyFX said:
    Gulliver said:
    Please make sure they get the negative feedback removed too. This was a vexatious claim from someone who should be more patient. 
    Got done automatically - back to 100% feedback.  Boom!!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom