I've Got A Hire Car

What's Hot
gubblegubble Frets: 1772

So last night someone in a van kindly went into the back of my car. Annoying yes but hey accidents happen and at least I'm not to blame.

Car is going to the garage tomorrow morning and my hire car has just arrived.

It's a Renault Captur (I had no idea such a beast existed) OK it's bright orange and I'm going to have to drive it with a bag on my head in case anyone recognises me (it's really bright) however I was told I'd be getting a car of the same size/status. This is based on a clio and to be honest the boot is way too small. I can't fit my guitar gear in there at all whereas with my focus I can.

As the hire car people just handed the keys to reception (and not myself) can I ring them back and reject this as it's not big enough for my needs?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    I would definitely give them a call. When we were sorting out a hire car after an accident I went through my specific requirements with the insurance company and they said they'd accommodate it all (I'm talking 2 child seats, room for a buggy etc - not 8 cupholders and a large pot of M&Ms with all the yellow ones removed).
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4720
    Remember. Hire cars are the fastest cars on earth and go over roundabouts and not around them ;o)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29224
    When I had an insurance hire car they pretty much forced me to have the biggest thing they had - the Yeti was 4x4 so they gave me a gigantic Kia barge which they said was their only 4x4 (despite two Evoques in the car park).

I thought they always upgraded for insurance cars so they could skim yet more out of the accident?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    Sporky said:
    When I had an insurance hire car they pretty much forced me to have the biggest thing they had - the Yeti was 4x4 so they gave me a gigantic Kia barge which they said was their only 4x4 (despite two Evoques in the car park).

I thought they always upgraded for insurance cars so they could skim yet more out of the accident?

Yeah. That's what happened to me. The cost of the hire car was he majority of the claim because the accident assistance people and the car hire people colluded to get the most expensive car they could manage. It's extremely cynical.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1772

I'll give them a call.

I'll try to explain that fitting a flightcased hot rod deluxe, 2 hardcased guitars and another flightcase with a pedalboard in the boot are essential.

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    I'd give them a call too..

I once had a brand new Audi A4 S Line Avant with all the toys you could imagine and about 300 bhp on tap..

2 weeks into its life a drunk driver took the front end off..

Replacement Car (like for like according to policy) was a 4 year 1.8 Mondeo saloon.....

I went mental...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    CabbageCat said:

Yeah. That's what happened to me. The cost of the hire car was he majority of the claim because the accident assistance people and the car hire people colluded to get the most expensive car they could manage. It's extremely cynical.
    The quote I got to get the car fixed was about £700 including a courtesy car - a teeny-tiny supermini thing but it would have done me for the week or so the job would take. The guy who drove into me said that was too much so I went through insurance; the hire car alone was over £2400. I felt bad that it became so expensive but I wasn't going to be messed around by the twit.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4655
    edited July 2016
    i have this car (orange one too!) you can move the back seat forward (handle either at the front of the back seat or at the back from the boot) and also remove the bottom of the boot for more space and the back seats obviously split 60/40 too.

see 2mins 36

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    gubble said:

So last night someone in a van kindly went into the back of my car. 

I thought this was gonna be about dogging.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Sporky said:
    gigantic Kia barge
    week or so the job would take
    the hire car alone was over £2400

:O
    Yeah - a week for the small, insurance and Skoda approved repair shop local to me.

Three weeks for the pork-barrelling wasters who the insurers made me use.

Sorry - I wasn't entirely clear there.
  • oafoaf Frets: 301
    Sporky said:
    When I had an insurance hire car they pretty much forced me to have ...

...the hire car was he majority of the claim ... the accident assistance people and the car hire people colluded to get the most expensive car they could manage. It's extremely cynical.
    Me too. Someone hit me and I had to argue the "accident management" company down to a (really awful but still expensive) Mercedes convertible. They were suggesting Ferraris and 911s: the whole thing is a scam.
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    I was offered a Reliant Robin when someone rear ended me on a roundabout.  So that's rear-ended twice.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    If I ever need one pretty much anything is an upgrade haha. 
    I've got a brand new combine-harvester.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    And I'll give you the key. 
    boom, boom!