Push push on tone pot on a telecaster

i have a telecaster I love .. But.... The neck humbucker is louder than the bridge... And I want to have a volume on a push push on the tone circuit so that in mid position I have a volume on neck and a volume on bridge to mix the blend... Any ideas ? I only ever use the tone on the bridge pick up on a tele anyway  - I'm the bloke when I'm playing gibsons I'm always on both pickups blending the volume...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SeshSesh Frets: 1885

Have you thought about swapping the volume for a concentric pot so you'd have two volumes? I've got two concentric pots on a tele control plate to give two volume and two tone controls. They do stick out a fair bit more and may ruin the look for you.

I think you can also add resistors into the signal path of the humbucker to balance its output with the other pickup, but that's a question for someone who knows the electrics better than I do.

Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • Yep I thought about both of those options - concentrics are tricky live (especially in the environments I play which are really sweaty - weddings or functions or a really busy blues jam)  and the resistor is tricky because I want the full fat sound of the humbucker when it's by itself...  I think I'll ditch the pickup and go with a gentler one -i I'm happy with the bridge pickup it has a great sound and as we know it's a lottery with tele bridge pickups.. As they get more potent the strangled cat announces his arrival... To misquote Campilongo there is already plenty of treble on a telecaster, without any more.. This one is very jazzy...
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8864
    Before changing anything it might be worth lowering the neck pickup to reduce the signal strength.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1276
    I'm not sure if you can achieve what you want without concentric pots but...

You say you only use the tone control on the bridge pickup - could you get away with a preset amount of treble roll-off? You could have volume controls for neck and bridge pickups with a preset tone roll off on the bridge via a push-push pot. It would just involve a capacitor and a resistor (you could probably even fit in a mini trim pot so you could adjust it just right).

Would that be a workable compromise?
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1885

Another option: Add a third pot between the other two. I've seen this done and it looks tight but not offensive.

Or, get a new, undrilled control plate. If you swap the tele switch for a Les Paul type you could save some space and space three pots out better. Never seen this done but might look ok.

Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • The steam abacus solution is a potential . Though I may just find a suitable lower output humbucker amongst my extraneous bits box :-) but having decoupled an early 1980s nickel cover off a very early JB to make the pickup less honky seems to be an injustice if it is to be discarded  :-( also apart from a set of patent number 1970s HBs all the other ones are gold plated...  And that predominantly why they are in the parts box...  Ho hum ....   
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4225
    Two volumes, one a 500 switched for HB and one a 250 for Tele, switch on HB pot could bring in a very low value cap to change tone of bridge pickup, everything looks the same but more versatile.
  • That's what I had in my fevered imagination... However I've gone for a 3 knob solution called a jazz telecaster set up - volume Volume tone and I'll put a 250 on the bridge vol maybe... I'll use an old Gibson humbucker or a BK mule I have spare and see what occurs - the current humbucker required careful  amping which is a pity - it's a very honky SDJB.... the instrument is fab so it's getting the sound just right I'll post a pic when it's stopped evolving haha  it's got a top loading 6 piece bridge on that I'm really pleased with 1961 style ... Far more open than through the body...