Anyone help with this computer issue?

My ISP is down. I can connect to the Internet using my phone as a hotspot. My iPad is able to connect this way.

My problem is I need to email files from my home network. And although the PCs and Mac Mini in the network seem to recognise the hotspot, they are for some reason not connecting to the Internet through it.

So basically when I set up wifi for the iPads, I select my phone and it works; when I set up wifi for say my Mac Mini the phone shows as a wifi option, when I select it all the indications are that it's properly connected, yet there is no internet connection. Same with my PCs.
“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    are you still having the prob?
    because there was a serious network failure yesterday in London
    play every note as if it were your first
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    I can never get my laptop to work with my phone as a hotspot using bluetooth but it works fine when connected to the phone with a USB cable. Have you tried that?
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    Sounds like your mobile phone provider doesn't allow "tethering", which is using a mobile phone internet connection for a laptop. Who is your mobile phone provider?

The way round it is to transfer the files to the mobile (eg using bluetooth or a cable or Wi-Fi if this works) and then use the email client on the phone to send these files.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2650
    Thanks very much guys, appreciated.  I've managed to find a work-round although as so often the reason why some stuff works and other stuff doesn't is a mystery.  Simple tethering works for iPads but not other devices;  bluetooth tethering on my wife's iPhone (but not my android phone) works for MacMini;  bluetooth tethering using my android phone works for PC.

Clarky yes there's been another serious outage today for I understand similar reasons.  We've been out since 7 am and no sign of when we'll be back on again.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”