Best drive pedals for under £40

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    ICBM said:
    As far as I know all versions of the SD-1 use the 4558. There are some other Boss pedals which don't use the standard 'square' 8-pin Dual In Line IC though, in particular the DS-1 which uses a Single In Line type… for what reason I'm not sure.

Some Boss overdrive pedals (the BD-2 and, I think the OD-3) don't have an opamp chip, but the opamp circuit is done in discrete components rather than on a single chip of silicon. I've never understood why they did this, as it would be more expensive and a lot more labour intensive for basically the same effect. I think they may have clipping diodes "inside" the opamp circuit rather than connected to output and/or input pins?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibe said:
    @stonevibe have you tried a Nobels ODR-1 ?
    No
    get one ;-)

it shouldn't be more than £40
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1663
    I really like my soul food a lot. £42 new off thomann (I know I'm £2 over!)
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    I love the Dr.J Green Crystal I bought a few weeks ago from Coda for £25. Absolute bargain if they still have them definitely worth a punt.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7348
    markblack said:
    I really like my soul food a lot. £42 new off thomann (I know I'm £2 over!)
    How dare you! A whole two english pounds over budget. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 660
    I really like the Mooer Blues Crab. You might still be able to get them for under £40, though most places seem to have them for £45-50 these days. I'd still buy one at that price if I didn't already have one.
  • danbandanban Frets: 343
    MattG;222986" said:
    I'm going to throw in the little bear R.Attack RT2, metal casing, lm308 chip and does all 3 flavours of rat for under £20 brand new delivered from china!only issues are its quite large, the battery clip is bloody stiff and to secure it to a pedalboard you have to remove the feet and battery compartment still ridiculous value for moneyAnnoyingly the nux delay pedals seem t have sky rocketed in price as mine cost me £17 and now they are between 40 and 80!but if you aren't bothered about names you can get a klon,tube screamer,sweet honey,OCD and a rat for under £40 each these days putting together a cheap pedal board has never been easier or produced such high quality sounds
    Matt G where's the site for the r.attack for under £20?
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    edited January 2015
    My votes go to the: 

Joyo sweet baby 
    Bad Monkey 

and the winner........ 

Mooer Pure Boost. Not only does it do the normal boost thing but also seems to 'seperate the notes' when playing chords. Only bought it on a whim to replace my LPB-1. It's going nowhere [-X