Big Wreck - Why aren't these guys the biggest band on the planet?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33906
    I know this will also attract divided views, mostly along the lines of plagiarism, but I think the first solo in Ghosts is as close as I've heard to SRV aside from that man himself.

Did Thornley have to copy him that closely? Don't care. I think it sounds awesome :-)
    I don't know for sure- but it almost certainly has to be an homage to SRV's work with David Bowie.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2369
    @octatonic - agreed. I love the tone and phrasing on that solo
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    I enjoyed it.

It's not massively catchy, I've got a couple of the guitar lines in my head.

Coldplay are terrible FWIW. Honestly, they're like a bad smell that just won't go away. One of the worst things to happen to music, IMO. They have nothing on Big Wreck. 

I take all of the points made regarding BW... it's not something I'll sit and listen to of a night but I could quite happily stick the CD in my car and have it on while driving, cranked a little. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • I know this will also attract divided views, mostly along the lines of plagiarism, but I think the first solo in Ghosts is as close as I've heard to SRV aside from that man himself.

Did Thornley have to copy him that closely? Don't care. I think it sounds awesome :-)
    I don't know for sure- but it almost certainly has to be an homage to SRV's work with David Bowie.

Necro-post! (just found the album on Spotify)

The title track is dripping in 80s references...the solo definitely starts out as a purposeful homage to 'Let's Dance' ;-)
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9974
    edited December 2014
    I just listened to Ghosts, there is a lot of Coldplay in there, tune and chord wise, to me. Some very skillful guitar playing for sure, but his voice was not exciting at all which killed the song. The solo was nicely played but didn't seem to relate to the rest of the song particularly. I'm also not a huge fan of the "mushy space filling sound" sounds like that have on the choruses. It was missing on the solo which was nice, but as soon as he'd stopped showing us his nice strat and stylish silhouette trousers, it returned...

That's only my view of course, as above two different ears can react differently to the same cues!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Hate to resurrect a dead thread, but, this is a worthwhile (very recent) performance. Some stellar playing in there.

Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited March 2015
    Sorry but that was just boring as heck... same 2 bar riff repeated for 6 and half minutes with some improvised lead does not a great song make...

I only listened to the first one but I can't bring myself to try the others.