Contesting a speeding ticket

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5213
    Has nobody ever managed to contest a speeding ticket where the signage was bad, eg covered by overgrown trees or the like?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    WezV said:
    I don't understand those of you who seem upset to be caught just after the speed limit has changed, but it does reflect the behaviour I see on the road everyday. You are supposed to be doing 30 by the time you reach the 30 sign, not brake once you pass it.
    it does help if you can actually see the sign..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    edited July 2016
    If there's a mobile van randomly doing trapping they need to prove they've abided by signage regs. Fact.

Not that it helps the OP.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• oafoaf Frets: 301
    @mart said:
    Has nobody ever managed to contest a speeding ticket where the signage was bad, eg covered by overgrown trees or the like?
    A mate's dad did over 20 years ago. He was on the outskirts of Birmingham I think. Took photos of very overgrown signs and submitted them and they accepted it wasn't sufficiently clear. If I remember correctly I got the impression that he knew the road well enough to know the speed limit anyway (not sure he told them this!) but it didn't stop him getting off it.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    My mate got off with speeding when he was moving house and basically his whole family had been using it all day so none of them knew who was driving.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    I recall seeing the odd headline where someone has won where signage wasn't clear, or was too far apart. 

My Dad escaped one a few years ago where we were both in the car and didn't know who was driving at 2am. Thankfully the photo evidence was all black apart from a shiny numberplate. Not sure if you can still make that defence though.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2988
    I'm quite surprised they offered the course for 9mph (or nearly 50%) over the limit. If she's been given fine and course, grab it. Do not co test it in court - that margin is often taken very seriously.
    and you don't get any credit for not seeing and making a mistake because that is an immediate admission of driving without due care etc.

take it, do the course - it is very good
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2988
    Many years ago I got a letter saying I'd driven off after a collision with vehicle damage!   Really shocked, couldn't understand it.  Turned out it was my wife, she'd clipped someone's wing mirror and carried on.  Of course it doesn't tell you in the letter asking who the driver is so that they can prosecute 
    I took her down to the police station,told her to grovel, say it was her first ever accident and that she was rally really sorry.
    got a stern lecture and said don't do it again

always helps when you are not up against a computer
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    WezV said:
    I don't understand those of you who seem upset to be caught just after the speed limit has changed, but it does reflect the behaviour I see on the road everyday. You are supposed to be doing 30 by the time you reach the 30 sign, not brake once you pass it.
    I don't normally do this, and I agree with your general point, but it annoys me how so many speed limit reductions are at the bottom of hills with no warnings. If they'd signed it 1/4 of a mile back I could have coasted up the hill, instead of accelerating up it to then stamp on the brakes. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497

My Dad escaped one a few years ago where we were both in the car and didn't know who was driving at 2am. Thankfully the photo evidence was all black apart from a shiny numberplate. Not sure if you can still make that defence though.
    No. That's the 'Chris Huhne' defence. If they can't identify the driver they will charge the registered keeper unless you can bully someone else into taking the rap provide evidence otherwise.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• cacophonycacophony Frets: 385
    got 'caught' by a camera on the M62 a couple of years ago. when they were doing those horrendous never-ending road works(the ones that involved the big purple pipes for those that know this motorway). they said i was doing 60 something in a 30 zone where one of the lanes was closed. absolutely no way! there's just no way on earth i'd have been glibly bombing down two lanes of near stationary traffic doing that sort of speed even if i'd wanted to. but they just sent me a photo of my car and that's it, no discussion, no reasoning. i'm just not that stupid, but you can't argue.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    ICBM said:

No. That's the 'Chris Huhne' defence. If they can't identify the driver they will charge the registered keeper unless you can bully someone else into taking the rap provide evidence otherwise.
    Failure to identify the driver can land the registered keeper up to 6 points and £1000.