Fixed Bridge for PRS S2 Cu24?

Considering upgrading the bridge on my S2 24, seeing as a never use the trem it'd make sense to me to get some sort of fixed bridge instead.

Anyone done this? are there any direct replacements or am I going to have to get drilling?

Cheers Peeps

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73199
    Block the bridge off solidly with wooden inserts inside - two for a fully fixed bridge, one in front of the bridge block and one behind. If you make them a good tight fit you don't even need to glue them, so it's completely reversible if you ever want to, or sell the guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1995

I was originally going to upgrade an old farida guitar to use as a back up for gigs (which currently sounds good but doesn't stay in tube very well), but figured I'd be better off upgrading the PRS and putting the old parts on the fairda. so new tuners and bridge for the PRS > old ones onto the farida (and probably new nut).

Thinking hipshot, but not sure it'll be a straight swap

It will be much easier and better to block the bridge on the PRS and use new parts for the other guitar.

Swapping the PRS bridge for any fixed bridge is not straightforward at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HalikusHalikus Frets: 59
    I believe you have 2 practical choices here.

1.  Sell the PRS and buy an fixed bridge model
    2.  Block off the bridge as per ICBM's suggestion

Any other action will devalue the guitar when it comes to selling it and cost a small fortune to have a luthier do the job properly.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1995
    ICBM said:
    Swapping the PRS bridge for any fixed bridge is not straightforward at all.

noted :) thanks

will blocking the trem make much difference tonally or just make it more stable?

It might make it 'tighter' or more focused sounding and a bit more midrangy - trem guitars tend to be looser-sounding and a bit more open-sounding. Probably not a huge difference though.