Costco

What's Hot
jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
Bloody money black hole, isn't it?

I was so happy when they'd finally bought them over here to the UK. We tend to go every 4 months or so to stock up on consumables like detergent, softener, toilet rolls, shower gel etc...Went on sunday, and ended up spending £200, fucksake! 

Good news is, we won't need to shop for anything but food for the next 4 or 5 months at least - everything else is covered. 

Bloody love it. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Brilliant place. You effectively get the cost of your annual membership back on the first trip, after that it's all a bonus.

The range of stock at the higher end can sometimes be very interesting too - they buy up surplus from other places, so you can sometimes get real surprises. I once saw a Martin D-28 in there - it wasn't cheaper than a second hand one so I didn't buy it, but it was a very good price if you were looking for a new one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7974
    The only thing is sometimes they only sell a product for a short amount of time (presumably because it isn't popular enough).  They used to do a big bag of Blue Corn Tortilla chips that tasted awesome.  Not seen them in ages...
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2348
    tbh i found the bulk food quite good but nothing else seemed any cheaper than i could get anywhere else, do they still price everything ex VAT, making it look cheaper
    tbh i found the bulk food quite good but nothing else seemed any cheaper than i could get anywhere else, do they still price everything ex VAT, making it look cheaper
    Yes, but they also print the inc-VAT price on the ticket in smaller letters, so you can see what you're really paying.

It's not *that* much cheaper, but enough that if you shop in bulk or for some of the higher-priced things it's worth the saving.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Do they have a regular stock of musical instruments then? 

There is one near me, but I always thought it was just a trade only cash and carry. 

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I find their pricing a bit hit and miss. They're definitely cheaper than RRP, but often not cheaper than supermarket special offers.

I mainly go for the stuff you can't get anywhere else.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    I used to be a member, the only problem I found is that you need a massive amount of storage space for all the bulk packs. Their double choc muffins are awesome though. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    We find the consumables (detergent and toilet roll etc) are A LOT cheaper than a supermarket. 

We bought 48 toilet rolls for £15. Did a quick reccy in tesco the day before we left and they're double the price for the toilet rolls we'd buy of the same quality in Tesco. 
    Skarloey said:
    Do they have a regular stock of musical instruments then? 
    Mostly just starter-level kit - cheap guitars, home keyboards and electronic drums etc. The Martins were a one-off - I've heard of them having Gibsons too, but never seen one in there… although it wouldn't surprise me at all if some 2015 models end up there.

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4858
    Just avoid the butchers, I've always found there beef to be rather tough, and I can get it cheaper from my local butchers
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16668
    I have a Macro card. That's a bit shit now,  very little realistically cheaper than the supermarkets and much less choice than year ago but it has a good fish counter. 
    I presumed Macro was a similar thing to Costco? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Just avoid the butchers, I've always found there beef to be rather tough, and I can get it cheaper from my local butchers
    Wait til just after the end of the racing season, it tends to be a bit cheaper then.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    I have a Macro card. That's a bit shit now,  very little realistically cheaper than the supermarkets and much less choice than year ago but it has a good fish counter. 
    It is, in principle, but Costco (in my experience) is A LOT better. 
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Stop crying, start buying
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    The only thing is sometimes they only sell a product for a short amount of time (presumably because it isn't popular enough).  They used to do a big bag of Blue Corn Tortilla chips that tasted awesome.  Not seen them in ages...
    I miss those, and the white corn ones. Just yellow corn currently.
    some things are better, and they sell some  higher-than-normal quality stuff for good prices
    Makro is very grim and depressing compared to costco
    the non-food stuff in costco is much  much better than in makro
    my regular purchases are fresh salsa, tzatsiki, etc,  £2-£3  for 900g
    Good  for 1kg ish of feta, 6 packs of halloumi
    dried herbs
    giant kitchen roll
    big bags of decent corn tortillas
    maple syrup
    green unpitted olives in brine

the  massive made to  order celebration cakes are only £12 or £13

lots of massive garden furniture and top-notch BBQs too

• NeilNeil Frets: 3847
    We found when going to Makro and Costco we were buying huge amounts of stuff like washing powder, toilet rolls etc to make savings  that you then have to store.

We had to put up some dexion shelving in the garage for it all!

You can save a bit at those places but I'd prefer my Mrs just buy the stuff weekly from Tesco or whatever where she looks out the bargains and leaves me out of that shopping stuff altogether..........and we don't have to run a warehouse at home.
    yes, I get a lot of the cost-saving done at Aldi now instead in smaller chunks